Any reason why I shouldn't use this lower unit oil?

thegipper

Petty Officer 1st Class
My local fleet farm sells Mystik brand lower unit oil. On the back it states that it is compatible with OMC type C. My 1970 60hp johnson uses type c. Any reason why I shouldn't use this as opposed to the super expensive oem stuff? 20170121_133025 (1).jpg

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
The only red flag I see is that it first states it can be used for 80/90 weight applications which is a green flag however it also stated it can be used for Dextron applications which is waaay thinner/lighter weight than lower gear lube.What weight does it state this product is??

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Need to reread the label ...it doesn't replace Dextron. I have used these in my farm equipment for years and it good stuff.........its rumored it a rebadged Citgo product.

thegipper

Petty Officer 1st Class
I checked the website and here is the data sheet. It is a 85w-90 weight oil. It says it's compatible with Type C, I just want to make sure that there weren't horror stories with this stuff claiming that it works with type c fluid. I've used Mystik products for years and they seem to make pretty good stuff.
Screenshot 2017-01-21 at 7.14.04 PM.png

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Just looked at a 1973 model 6 HP Johnson.---It is a wee motor and certainly not electric shift.-----It is in pristine condition with the original factory instruction label.----It says to use type C in the gearcase on that label !!!------So I would be careful if using this majik stuff in an electric shift gearcase.----But hey it is not my motor.

jbcurt00

Staff member
I wasnt around electric shift outboard when they were new, but have been told to use Type C in electric shift motors, from this forum, on another and in person from people more familiar w them then me. Perhaps they were wrong.....

The posted spec sheet wasnt real clear, and got blurrier when enlarged. I thought you might have had a hard time seeing it, hence my post above.

The StarBrite Type C label, IIRC, does specifically call out electric shift compatible.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Fact----TYPE-C was specified for use in many standard shift motors for a number of years !

F_R

Supreme Mariner
X2 What racerone said. During those years, OMC Type C was used in all OMC motors, electric or manual shift--didn't matter. But then in later years they came out with heavier oil and said the new stuff was for all motors that previously specified Type C, Except those with electric shift, which were to continue using Type C, renamed Premium Blend. So the answer to your question is, no the 80-90 is not for electric shift motors. Use Dexron ATF if you are looking for price. Type C / Dexron are much thinner than 80-90 weight gear oil.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Gipper, you have an electric shift gearcase, and that takes the lowest viscosity stuff as suggested, similar to ATF. OMC sold it under "premium blend" in '75 when they said the low vis Premium Blend had to be used in the '62 - '72 electric gear cases. If you choose to use ATF, use Dexron -- think your Mystic label reads "Certain other electric shift gear case units require DEXRON-III type fluid. Consult Owner's Manual." You have one of those gear cases.

Type F transmission fluid is hard on seals, I think. And I guess I would want to check the Starbrite lube for viscosity before using -- think the Starbrite recommendation re. electric gear cases is suspect, just given the confusions surrounding Type C use (somewhat murky OMC instructions). Premium Blend is probably still around, and that would be the best bet -- but guess that's the expensive one you wanted to avoid. I would spring for it, though -- used it for about 10 years in a '70 85, and had no gearcase issues (saltwater use, most of the time).

Tech Tony

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I had a74 Johnson 50hp once and didn't say anything about type c, just use premium blend by omc for electric gearshifts. Not hi viscosity.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
A 1974 model 50 hp Johnson was not an ELECTRIC SHIFT lower unit.-----Powershift , yes.----But not electric shift.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
I guess I'm old and funny. I only use what the manufacture recommends no matter who he is. BRP, Yamaha, Mercury and ect.

Last edited:

thegipper

Petty Officer 1st Class
You guys have me all kinds of confused now. Doesn't my motor, according to Johnson, require "Type C" fluid? Or does it specifically says "type C fluid that is electric shift compatible"?

When I looked a few months ago, everything I read said I need to make sure it is "Type C" fluid. I used this stuff because it says its "type C compatible". I did also read that many people used Dex ATF as an alternative.

Does anyone have actual documentation from Johnson that specifically what to use?

boobie

Supreme Mariner
You may want to call BRP customer service and ask them for the latest info.

thegipper

Petty Officer 1st Class
I found this in the manual. Apparently there is more to just "Type C". So I should drain my LU and find some "type C" that specifically states that is for use in electric shift or just use some Dexron ATF.

Is the dexron atf really a good alternative? Don't want to take any chances... Screenshot 2017-01-23 at 9.42.28 PM.png