Evinrude 110 exhaust removal trouble

Dennischaves

Chief Petty Officer
I need some help I ran into a little BIG problem
I have a 1988 evinrude 110
I have the powerhead completly off on a bench
I had to take off the bubble exaust manifold
Off then I noticed that pieces of gasket and some other foreign matter had worked through the exaust ports and probably onto the tops of the pistons
Anyone have any suggestions on what to do now???

Bosunsmate

Admiral
dont stress, sounds all soft stuff, take the spark plugs out for starters and shove a vacuum in whereever or however you can

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
There is an exhaust gasket between the block and the outer exhaust manifold. It is not unusual for the gasket to break apart with age, esp if the powerhead was ever overheated. That overheat will distort the block and can destroy that gasket. It is also common on those engines for the upper piston ring to disintegrate on high hour blocks. Check to see if any of that foreign material is bits for the upper piston ring. That's a problem.

Dennischaves

Chief Petty Officer
The piston and rings are all in good shape
It was dirt and some old gasket and defiantly some metal from a screw in the middle of the bubble exhaust that I had to drill out
I'm guessing the head has to come off and vacume and blow everything out?

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Would be nice to know where the debris comes from. I'd want to make sure none of the debris reappeared.

Dennischaves

Chief Petty Officer
The debris went into the cylinder when I took off the exhaust manifold and I had to drill out a screw in the manifold and some metal shavings went into the cylinder
Will I be ok if I take the heads off and vacuumed and blow it out with compressed air?
(I tried posting a pic but it's not uploading)

Dennischaves

Chief Petty Officer
No Title

Ok here's some pictures of the mess I have

Attachments

• photo257772.jpg
    photo257772.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 0
  • photo257773.jpg
    photo257773.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 0
  • photo257774.jpg