1968 evinrude 6hp top speed 6mph?

Jessejba

Cadet
Hey guys, I've been reading the forms for a while and this is my first post. I have a bass hound 10.2 with a 1968 evinrude 6hp on it. I'm just wondering what you guys think the top speed should be. I'm 170lbs, have a Batt, trolling motor on the front, gas tank, and tackle box but i can't seem to go over 6mph. I figured I'd get somewhere around 10mph seeing as how it's a pretty small boat. I've tried sitting in the front and middle with virtually no difference in speed. The cavitation plate is level with the bottom of the hull. I can upload a picture tomorrow when it's not dark and raining. Just wondering what you guys think.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Check for running on one cylinder first. Then consider it just may not be enough motor for the boat/load. You need to get it up on plane to go much faster.

BigB9k

Seaman Apprentice
Im 210, my buddy is 260ish, with both of us in my 14' boat, we were able to do 9mp up river, and 11/12 down depending on how we were seated.
Have 2 or 3 blade prop?

Also, agree on the drop test.

Jessejba

Cadet
3 blade prop. I'm assuming you mean just pull the wire on one and see if it runs?

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
yes to pulling a plug wire.

I have three of those motors.

​With that size motor the hull design has a huge influence on your speed, one boat of that size may plane OK, and the next won't even get close.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
A 14' boat might actually be easier to plane than a 10 footer due to the fact that the weight pushes it down further in the water and also because of the difference in bottom area to lift it out. Those are only two of the possible factors. Bottom design, deadrise, round, flat, V, hull weight, etc, etc.

Jessejba

Cadet
Hey guys, i also know that the plugs that are in it are champion j4c's, and it's recommended j8c's?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
A 14' boat might actually be easier to plane than a 10 footer due to the fact that the weight pushes it down further in the water and also because of the difference in bottom area to lift it out. Those are only two of the possible factors. Bottom design, deadrise, round, flat, V, hull weight, etc, etc.

agreed

larger 14' would be less in the water than the smaller 10'

Vic.S

Rear Admiral
Hey guys, i also know that the plugs that are in it are champion j4c's, and it's recommended j8c's?
The currently recommended plugs are J6C

( original plugs would have been J4J , but J4C replaces these)

I have not seen J8C listed for any OMC outboard

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
I think 6mph in a bathtub with a trolling motor & battery, plus yourself is about as good as you're going to get. As FR pointed out, you need surface area to properly plane off a hull and you're lacking in that department. If you ditched the trolling motor & battery and any other stuff so it was just you, you MIGHT get it over the hump, with some help by stretching your weight as far forward as you can reach....

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Motors that are 50 years old need inspection / maintenance.---I do not bother to try and start one of them.----Pick them up for nothing or under $50.----They all come apart.----Amazing what you see on them.---Sometimes they are junk and sometimes the rings still show machining rings and motor was hardly " broken in " with few hours.

thegipper

Petty Officer 1st Class
My 14' aluminum starcraft (row boat essentially) with a wood floor and two people in it did about 9mph with a 57 evinrude 5.5hp. I have a trolling motor in the front and battery. 6mph seem's too slow like the motor isn't running right but I am no expert.

hardwater fisherman

Lieutenant Commander
A friend from where I work has one of those Bass Hound boats at his chalet.We fished from it using my electric motor, until he bought a 1980s 7.5 evinrude. The 7.5 would not plane out his boat. So we tried the motor on an old 12 foot Alcan aluminum that my uncle gave me many years ago. It planed out with the two of us.First I would make sure your motor is running well as others have said. But it might not be the kind of boat built for any type of speed. Fun little boat though. If I remember correctly it is rated only for 5hp?

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Have you done that cylinder drop test yet and what were the results ??

Jessejba

Cadet
Hey guys, i did the test, inconclusive really. Tbe same result on both, seems to running right at low speed atleast. Ot seems to me that WOT isnt really there. I have some J6C's coming in the mail tomorrow. Couldnt find them at any of the shops around here. The boat is rated for a 7 hp

hardwater fisherman

Lieutenant Commander
If it does not stall then it is running on both cylinders. It is the bass hound 904 that is rated 5hp. I was looking at the wrong specs.

Last edited:

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Find a shop with a test prop for that motor.-----That will determine if motor is putting out the rated power.

Jessejba

Cadet
I'm hoping the J6C spark plugs will help out a bit, but i know that its like trying to move a big box through the water