Reinstalling lower end

Wave1960

Seaman
Tricks?

So far I have a strap installed to hold lower end in place and long bolt in thru hole. It appears water tunes are lined up. Fighting to get it any further. In gear to manipulate drive shaft...... won't seem to budge much....

Picture attached of water lines

Attachments

• photo257519.jpg
    photo257519.jpg
    245.7 KB · Views: 0

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Normal procedure is to insert the water tubes into the upper grommets first. Then you can see what you are doing as you enter the pointy ends into the water pump while installing the lower unit. Turning the prop while in gear will align the drive shaft splines. Hopefully you have disconnected the spark plug cables. There is a one in a thousand chance of it starting while you are manhandling the prop, but that's better (worse?) than the lottery chances.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
^^like he says.

A ShopMate can help -- motor in the tilt position on a stand, with the l.u. supported on the ShopMate. Once everything is lined up, you can usually help ease the l.u. into place by simultaneously operating the shift lever. (The shift rod or mechanism can sometimes bind when trying to lift up the gearcase, and that might be what you are running into.)

lindy46

Captain
My ShopMate is my wife! Two people makes the job much easier. Also, make sure the gearcase is in reverse and the shift lever is in forward. You can connect that up later, once the L/U is back in place.

Wave1960

Seaman
Went alot smoother connecting tubes at bottom. Ran a long bolt w a nut and washers above in the one location that is behind cover. That way I could just tighten nut slow and do first tubes, then drive shatt, then shift rod. ......

Anyone recommend anything between both halves? 3m 847? Silicone? Clean?

Wave1960

Seaman
Yes. Lower unit to midunit. Didn't see any taking it apart. Thanx to everyone for such quick and helpful responses!