Impeller replacement

Bosunsmate

Admiral
[FONT=&quot]Whats your disability that you mentioned in your other post for your other motor? They arent hard to do yourself especially if a mates there to help out.[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]My local fire bridage has a guy with only one arm.[/FONT]

titaniumneck

Petty Officer 1st Class
Broken neck November 2014, now my neck is made out of titanium. But it also left a couple of dead spots in my spinal cord up around the cervical vertabra c-2 c-3. Those dead spots mess with everything at different times. Coordination, balance, respiratory, ghost pains ( intense pain in places where nothing hurt) neurologists says ghost pains because of blocked pain receptors. Hands and feet go numb, etc, etc, etc.

Bosunsmate

Admiral
ouch that sounds horrid. If you can turn a spanner i still think you could do this yourself, as im picking being laden with that problem you wont have much spare cash.
Lots of intel here on how to get it done, the lower unit doesnt weigh too much and you can lower it slowly or have some cushions etc for it to drop on.
Youd want some cushions for on the boat too, people here often do their spines damage on boats by being jolted in big waves which we get quite a lot of here in New Zealand with the southern ocean mixing in with the tasman and pacific waters

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Assume 2-3 hours at $125 per hour and marina pricing on the water pump kit. Call around

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Trouble is, considering your location (Louisiana), if you ask a shop over the phone, they probably will cover their butt and assume it is going to give them some salt-water-motor grief and estimate accordingly.

BTW, I totally respect your physical limitations and feel compassion. There was a time when I was only 30 years old and was limited to lifting 35 pounds due to back injury & surgery. Now I'm 80 and still can't do much more than that. Take care of yourself and don't push it. It's the only body you get. Well, I did get some replacement knees.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Yeah, lower unit work is probably one to avoid. Maybe there is a mobile service around to save hauling the boat to a shop.

titaniumneck

Petty Officer 1st Class
I appreciate it everyone. I think my 17 year old son is going to get a step by step lesson on changing impellers. I know how to do it, so he's going to be my hands for the job. And if he doesn't like it, I just won't feed him for a week. Lol. Gotta work for food. That should work.