1994 Johnson 112 idle help

dreese2005

Seaman Apprentice
I recently purchased a 1994 Johnson 112 it had been sitting for a couple of years so a few thing s I did before cranking it are:

Remove and replace old gas in tank.
Pulled carbs tore apart and cleaned thoroughly. Carb are fixed jet with no adjustments screws.
New water impeller.
New spark plugs gapped at 30 thousands

The issue i am having is as follows.

Engine is VERY HARD to get started and I must keep it choked to keep it running. If I choke it while putting it in foward at full throttle then I can release the choke and it runs great WOT. When is slow back down to idle speed if I do not chok it then it will die.

Findings: before I try to start it I pump the primer bulb. I run it and then must pump primer bulbs again before it will start. After running I can squeeze primer bulb about half way before I fell the pressure. I pump it a few times and there is no more give. (As if the bulb is full)

Question. Is it possible that there is an air leak in the primer bulb or fuel line that is keeping it from idling? Is it possible that the fuel pump is the culprit?

Thanks in advance for any help and input.

JDH-GL

Seaman Apprentice
If the fuel pump dried out it may be shot. If it is, look into getting a new one. If it's a VRO fuel/oil pump I would consider switching to a non-VRO and premixing your fuel.

Good luck!

jbcurt00

Staff member
Dreese
Please dont start multiple topics in multiple forums about the same problem.

If you start a topic in the wrong forum or want it mived, just ask a Mod to move it for you.

Deleted the duplicate topic, and moved this 1 from the resto forum.

Thank you

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Myself I would do a compression test first.---Your opinion may vary.----Perhaps this motor is running on 3 of 4 cylinders.

alldodge

Staff member
must keep it choked to keep it running.

My guess is its not getting enough fuel. The bulb won't stay hard and if there is an air leak in the line this would cause an issue running at high rpm, but it should be able to run on its own at idle for a little while even if it is leaking. I would check your fuel pump, then go back to the carb.

Agree with compression test

Look your motor up here
http://boatinfo.no/lib/library.html

Bosunsmate

Admiral
Sounds like an airleak to me in your lines, check your pick up in the tank too, sometimes these can get airleaks. When you prime it does it go hard and stay hard for at least a couple of minutes?

dreese2005

Seaman Apprentice
Jbcurt00 My apologies for the double post.

The bulb even after pumping up does seem to have lost a little even in a couple of minutes.

After doing a bit of investigation I find there is no gasket behind the fuel pump between it and the block.. isn't there supposed to be one there?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
There should be a gasket on a non VRO pump mounted to the intake manifold.

Bosunsmate

Admiral
There isn't one there so maybe that is the problem? . I will also do a compression test this week.
Yep thats an issue, that would probably be where the bulb is losing some pressure from it too
If you dont have a compression tester id save yourself the cost and just replace the gasket first