Evinrude 18 hp, Barrel full of gear oil after running in neutral.

cals4200

Cadet
Picked up a motor and it is leaking gear oil out just in neutral. What would be the first thing to check? any advice appreciated.

Attachments

• photo255414.jpg
    photo255414.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 0

interalian

Commander
Probably not gear oil, probably exhaust oil. They all will do this whilst running in a barrel. Even my little 2hp Mate will put a black residue inside a 40 gallon drum after running for a few minutes. Have you checked the oil in the leg?

interalian

Commander
Whatever you do, do NOT remove the phillips screw. Drain and fill plugs are slotted, and I think on this motor the drain screw faces forward and down.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
To be on the safe side get the gear case pressure and vacuum checked.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
All good advice. (Motor looked familiar -- see in your earlier thread that you were oiling up the cylinders to try to get it to pull over easier. The added oil might not be cleared out yet.)

bspeth

Senior Chief Petty Officer
pressure test it,impeller while you have it off.very easy on one of those.

cals4200

Cadet
Thanks for the good advice all, I finally got it. I used 3 and 1 oil and let it soak. Sorry it took so long to get back to you.

thatone123

Banned
I had a 15 hp OMC I got recently and there was lots of oil coming out of the top lower unit shaft seal under the waterpump...I mean a lot of oil. In the water or not it leaked a lot. If it is a seal and in those old 18's it can be it may be the prop shaft seal or the upper drive shaft seal, or just exhaust oil as mentioned above. It also can be the shift shaft seal, but these seem to be a problem less often and that is good as they are the most hassle to fool with.