Mix of old gas with new gas on Johnson 120 V4 VRO

ebry710

Ensign
Teenagers are gone and now I have time for my Whaler. The problem is 30-40 gals of gas in the hull; that was filled to the top and stabilized.....in 2008. Being 9 years later, three questions come to mind:

1) Can you mix of old gas with new gas on Johnson 120 V4 VRO two stroke? How, what proportions, do it need to pass through a filter and are any additives needed?

2) Once the old gas is pumped out, is there any prep needed to be done to the tank?

3) Is there something else I am missing?

I am not cheap, but disposal of petroleum product in California is a real pain.

c6mcfall

Petty Officer 3rd Class
You will need to rebuild the carb?s 1[SUP]st[/SUP] regardless.. But I would NOT run that gas in my outboard period (but that's just me)? I bought a boat a while ago with a v4 looper, similar had 20+ gallons of OLD fuel, below is what I did..

You could go to an autoparts store and pick up a low cost electric fuel pump and pump the fuel out (what I did, listed it as ?Free bring your gas can?s, CList gone in 1 hr..) You could run it through a 10 micro fuel/water separator if you want to try and mix with new fuel for a lawn mower .. Once you?ve got all the OLD fuel out you?d need to clean the tank, can use the same pump (new filter) with some new fuel and enzyme fuel treatment, took 3-4 cycles until all was clean. This is what I did and it worked great.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
^^Good post! I wouldn't have thought of CL. Might be the best choice, rather than hassle of checking/cleaning/treating.

I have a hand cranked pump that I use for transfer and siphoning now and then, and one of those would be cheap enough to pick up. Think it would be good to check for water before deciding on use or treatment (or disposal). Agree with c6mcfall -- wouldn't run it back through the outboard.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
after 9 years, what is left isnt fuel and hasnt been for years, its varnish and sludge and probably doesnt even burn anymore if you hold a torch to it. the tank will need to be drained and cleaned. if your tank had a vent, most of what was in it 9 years ago will have evaporated to the sludge thats left

for old gas, i simply toss it on the bonfire

thatone123

Banned
Fuel will keep longer than most think in a cool climate. 9 years is stretching it, but 3 or 4 will work as I've seen it in lawn mowers and such.

spirtS niggeB

Seaman Apprentice
I tried diluting a couple of gallons of three year old 2-stroke fuel with six gallons fresh gas right after a carb rebuilb... can't start my dang motor cold without starting fluid now. Never again. Gonna set things right soon enough..

ebry710

Ensign
Originally I was quoted $750 for disposal (in California it is considered hazardous materials), but the thought of damaging to my engine or ruining a day of boating by paddling back to dock, has me looking for other options.

I do not think I will be selling the gas on Craigslist, but I am going to buy the fuel pump and try to work 40 gallons into household recycling 5 gallons at a time.

Thank you all for your advice and warnings.

lmuss53

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I would burn it in my pickup 5 or 10 gallons at a time in 10 gallons or so of fresh.

David Young

Chief Petty Officer
I'm happy I live in Tennessee because most of the things I use have a warning label stating, "This product has been known to cause cancer in the state of California". :)

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
I guess Tennessee doesn't care about it citizens to test for potential health risks

ebry710

Ensign
I guess Tennessee doesn't care about it citizens to test for potential health risks

Nah, we California's believe if it is fun, taste good or not taught in school; it will cause cancer, it must be outlawed or it should be taxed. lol
In all honesty, it is nice to know that people are concerned enough to study environmental problems and find solutions. Lets face it fuel economy, engine sound, oil shine and two cycle smoke has improved in my life time. Making boating and fishing better.

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
You might want to remember to drain the fuel lines and primer bulb also....I'll stay out of the rest of this conversation. Adding 10 gal of good gas to 1 gal bad gas equals eleven gal bad gas in my humble opinion.