Crappy base gaskets?

rothfm

Ensign
Just bout several Sierra powerhead base gaskets

The are so thin and flimsy im not sure i want to use them. Made of non coated paper material.

At least the envelope said sierra anyway, maybe the seller put something else inside

Is there a good thick gasket? BRP brand maybe better? I typically have exhaust leakage problems and want to avoid it this go around

Thanks

Any issue doubling them up

racerone

Supreme Mariner
I know the factory gaskets for V-4 / V-6 are / were wire mesh sandwich.-----Well worth the extra pennies !

daselbee

Commander
Sierra base gaskets are .015" thick, while OMC OE base gaskets are .045" thick.
This measurement being taken on the V6 90's looper base gaskets.....

rothfm

Ensign
Thanks guys...Yea for some reason I thought I had one awhile back that was pretty thick and sturdy material.

Will Nix the cheapo ones, and get some originals. Hate putting a motor together and then having the streaks down the leg.

clanton

Rear Admiral
Service bulletin changed part number and gasket material for some cross flow V6s. I no longer have bulletins or manuals or I would look for the PN for you.

rothfm

Ensign
Seems the superceed is pn 0342513 More pricey, maybe this is the thicher better one. Will be ordering soon, Will update post

Thanks

daselbee

Commander
Clanton's baaaackkkk. Hey young man. You want to go to the Florida Flywheeler's Swap meet on the 18th thru the 21st?

betayv

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I jus replaced the base gasket on my 1987 150, i paid 20$ original evinrude mesh gasket, big difference with that cheap paper gasket.