1987 300 hp Johnson oceanic runner not getting spark

norman2013

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I recently bought a 300 hp Johnson outboard. The motor came with the throttle and shift cables and the ignition but not the control box. I had to instal a new ignition because the key was not with the old one. I believe I have everything hooked up but it is not producing any spark? The motor turns over good. I'm guessing it is a simple fix I just don't know enough about these large engines. Please if I could get any simple ideas on things to check that would be great! Thanks you!

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Remove all spark plugs, buy an adjustable spark gap tester at some automotive parts store (or build your own as below). The ignition is self contained and you want the highest rpm available when cranking (reason for removing plugs).

Remove the black/yellow wire (kill circuit) from the ignition switch. NOTE... If you have a lanyard kill switch, make sure that the lanyard is connected.

If you have spark with that wire disconnected but no spark with it connected... replace the ignition switch.

(Spark Tester - Home Made)
(J. Reeves)

You can use a medium size philips screwdriver (#2 I believe) inserted into the spark plug boot spring connector, then hold the screwdriver shank approximately 7/16" away from the block to check the spark or build the following:

A spark tester can be made with a piece of 1x4 or 1x6, drive a few finishing nails through it, then bend the pointed ends at a right angle. You can then adjust the gap by simply twisting the nail(s). Solder a spark plug wire to one which you can connect to the spark plug boots, and a ground wire of some kind to the other to connect to the powerhead somewhere. Use small alligator clips on the other end of the wires to connect to ground and to the spark plug connector that exists inside of the rubber plug boot.

Using the above, one could easily build a spark tester whereas they could connect 2, 4, 6, or 8 cylinders all at one time. The ground nail being straight up, the others being bent, aimed at the ground nail. A typical 4 cylinder tester follows:

..........X1..........X2

.................X..(grd)

..........X3..........X4

norman2013

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Sorry guys I have been out of town for a week. I will try removing the wire from the ignition today and see how that goes. The motor did not come with a key so I already replaced the ignition. It is very possible that I do not have it hooked up right as well. The model number is e300pxcur.

norman2013

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I romoved the yellow and black wire from the ignition itself and I still do not have spark. The motor seems to be turning over well, all wiring inside looks good and intact. It is possible that I don't have the ignition wired properly. Would there be any fueses to check? Being that none of the plugs are getting spark I'm assuming it's not the power packs but like I said I'm pretty new to these larger motors. Thanks for any help guys!

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Go to cdielectronics.com for good trouble shooting tips.

norman2013

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am still not getting any spark. Is there a chance I could have the ignition switch wired wrong? The push choke and starter works with the key but im assuming it is still possible its wired wrong. Would not having a control box be an issue? I have cables, the wire harness and ignition. The motor is in neutral.