1958 Johnson 10hp QD-19 Broken Tiller Handle

petrowski53

Seaman Apprentice
Hi guys,

After about a 5 year hiatus, I'm back in the OMC family. I recently picked up a clean 1958 QD-19 10hp Johnson. The tiller arm unfortunately is broken where it pivots up and down. How interchangeable are the tiller arms? It isn't repairable, as one half of the joint where the arm attaches to the housing is broken off and missing. The damage is contained to the arm only. I'm hoping I can find a replacement, just not sure what year range will be interchangeable, and if I'm limited to 10hp models. I did receive a 1956 7.5hp along with it, and the tiller arm on that one looks almost identical, I'm looking forward working on this motor over the winter.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
That split style tiller handle fits a ton of motors 5.5hp through 20hp in the 1950's to the 1970's. A change was made to the brass gear in 1956, but they are interchangeable as long as you replace both gears. Your '58 should have the cast bronze gear (better).

petrowski53

Seaman Apprentice
That split style tiller handle fits a ton of motors 5.5hp through 20hp in the 1950's to the 1970's. A change was made to the brass gear in 1956, but they are interchangeable as long as you replace both gears. Your '58 should have the cast bronze gear (better).

Thanks, thats what I figured. A quick scan of ebay showed plenty of handles of various years of the same split style. It looked like the only difference were the changing colors and grip styles. I guess if i find a deal, I'll pick one up.

I think I picked the worst time of year to pick up a couple outboard projects. Plenty of time to work on 'em, too cold to take on a test run:D

I'll start a thread when I tear into it. It's going to be a long wait until spring....