FOGGING OUTBOARD

bcook204

Seaman Apprentice
Hi All, This is my 1st year owning a boat and decided to winterize my 1990 Evinrude 150 hp V6 by myself. Here's what I did. Could you tell me if I did it correctly.

1. Ran engine for 20 minutes to warm up
2. Turn engine off and attached fogging can to schrader valve.
3. Turned engine back on and shot 2 seconds bursts of fogging oil into engine.
4. Engine did not cut off so I kept shooting fogging oil into engine.
5. Engine smoked like hell, bogged down but did not cut off.
6. Fogging oil can is almost empty ( engine still smoking like hell)
7. Stopped fogging engine for 2 seconds ( just enough to reach around and turn engine off by ignition).
8. Took all spark plugs out and squirted fogging oil into each cylinder.
9. Rotated fly wheel

I am worried that the engine did not cut off on its own and did I burn the fogging oil up in the two seconds it took me to turn engine off.

My 1st time

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Those motors are resistant to stalling, even with fogging oil. As long as the motor was smoking you are fine. I fog thru the carbs only, and that is sufficient, IMHO.

​Now change the gear oil, grease the fittings, fube the steering rod and hose off the powerhead and let her dryl

racerone

Supreme Mariner
??----Oil can not disappear from bearings / between piston and cylinder wall in 2 seconds !!-----After one can put into the motor there is no need to remove sparkplugs to put more oil into cylinder either.

Last edited:

Bonaventure

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I doubt that removing the plugs will do any harm, but I would put them back in finger tight just to keep humidity out of the cylinders.

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Put the plugs back in tight more than one person has forgotten to tighten them up in spring. Then they wonder why the spark plugs are laying in the motor and has damaged threads after the first spring run.

bcook204

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks very much all, I have put the spark plugs back. Could you tell me what weight gear oil to use. i would like to stay with OMC products.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Could you tell me what weight gear oil to use. i would like to stay with OMC products.
I run Merc high performance in my lower unit. It's a straight 90 weight that is not compatiable with "regular" gear oils. It's the only oil I've used that isn't "burnt" at the end of the season