15 hp Johnson thrust mount

cedarlattice

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have an older Johnson and the thrust mounts are shot. I do not want to spend 80 something a piece to replace them. i found a website that showed how to make them. I think I found a better way. I need someone with a little more experience to tell me if it is a stupid idea or if it may possibly work. The inside of the mount is about 15/16" diameter. I took a 1" drain plug and disassembled it. I then cut it so it was a little longer than the depth of the opening and drilled the center bigger.
I then took a threaded lamp rod and put through the middle.

The rubber fits into the mount snug and when the nuts are tightened the rubber compresses and holds it tight. I plan to locktight and bugger up the threads real good so they won't come loose. I wonder if the mounts would be too stiff.

Another option I wondered about is to use the drain plugs and use an adhesive like they use to glue windshields in place.

Last edited:

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
It's a neat idea. I would question it's durability more than anything. Most of those were ruined because they came in contact with the exhaust and fuel especially the early ones. The new ones are more heat and fuel resistant and much more ethanol resistant. I don't know how that rubber will hold up to that, let us know how it goes.

scout-j-m

Chief Petty Officer
What did they use at the website where you originally found instructions?

cedarlattice

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks for the feedback. Where I got the original idea was from a page called Leeroys ramblings. Lots of good info. He made his from upper mounts and glued them in. I was concerned about glue failure more than the rubber failing. I guess when this engine was designed they didn't have to deal with ethenol.