60 hp etec

HenryB

Petty Officer 1st Class
Trouble removing the air silencer from a 2015, E60DSLAGB.

Will it come free with more exertion or must I disassemble the lower cover?

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Why are you trying to take it off? Is your motor still under warranty if so they may frown on you taking anything apart.

HenryB

Petty Officer 1st Class
The motor has 150 hours on it, or a year and a half. Throttle cables loosen with time and screw up the Throttle position sensor setting and results in a TPS error on the diagnostics read out. Nothing wrong with the motor, the fix is to tighten up the throttle linkage and reset the TPS. I want access to the flapper plate, holding it shut, while to performing the reset. If I could remove the silence cover, the fix is a snap.

Hoping that someone with experience with my situation might help.

82rude

Rear Admiral
I have a 2011 etec 60hp and my cables have never needed to be adjusted.You might be better served posing your question over on E nation .If you choose to do so let me know as i would like to follow your issue.

HenryB

Petty Officer 1st Class
I use the motor for trolling, mostly, a lot of throttle movement. The fault is common enough to have a fault code, code 11. Part of the fix is to check for improperly adjusted throttle cable.

It has happened twice so far. The motor just quits when the TPS is out of range. The motor will start again after switching the key on and off so a code 11 fault is no big hassle. I was able to adjust the TPS without access to the butterfly plate, but I would have liked to have access to the plate so I can hold the plate shut while doing the adjustment.

My problem is when I try to remove the air silencer it sticks on something under the engine cover. It will probably come loose if I yank on it but I'm not sure I might damage it

HenryB

Petty Officer 1st Class
82Rude, have you ever removed the air silencer on your motor and if so did it come out without difficulty"

Crosbyman

Rear Admiral
check with the etecowners group site for precise info they are very helpfull and experts on etecs

HenryB

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thank you Crosbyman,

My situation is not uncommon. Sadly, in order to remove the air silencer I must separate the lower cover halves. Not what I wanted to hear.

82rude

Rear Admiral
No ive never removed my cover .By looking at the part diagram its held by i1 bolt and a seal that my be a tight fit.My dealer told me that if my motor so much as looked sideways to bring it in and it would be covered.I also troll a ton and my motor is in and out of gear frequently also with zero issue.

82rude

Rear Admiral
To be totally honest i can work on a conventional 2 stroke no problem but i will leave the dfi wizzbangs to the pros other than plugs impeller and gear oil.

HenryB

Petty Officer 1st Class
Taking apart the lower cover is drastic. I doubt if mechanics go to that extreme. You can see the plate with the cover retaining bolt fully out, so it can be reached albeit with difficulty. A 3/8 hole through the air silencer in line with the butterfly plate and a rod should work. But if I had it to do over, and was confident nothing was changed to screw up the old design I would have bought a conventional 2 stroke. Yet, so far the tps issue has been my only issue with the motor. It is quiet as a mouse.

HenryB

Petty Officer 1st Class
There are videos on the web showing the reset procedure. They show the importance of not having too much play in the throttle cable. Like a 1/4 inch play is the limit. My cable was new. About after 6 months of use the first tps fault happened. I found my new cable to barely have a 1/4 inch play. Don't know if it was like that from the start, but my 17 foot CC put a lot of strain on the cable making turns getting from the motor to the binnacle