Top gear case screw

stevehendo34

Petty Officer 3rd Class
The former owner screwed it in so I cant get it out with screw driver, any ideas.
Would you use [FONT=&quot]Impact Impact Screwdriver or would you be to afraid of busting case.[/FONT]

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Are you referring to the Oil Vent screw? Is the screw damaged, if so, in what way? Are you using the proper size Blade screwdriver? An Impact driver might work if the screw isn't too badly damaged, but if it can't get a grip, you may need to carefully dremel a new slot 90 degrees to the old slot, but one slip and you can ruin the housing

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
If you have a blade to fit or can borrow one, you can clamp on a vise grip down toward the blade and try to turn counterclockwise with the vise grip while bearing down on the screwdriver. I find this works very well on stubborn drain or vent screws.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Use a hand impact screwdriver. The kind you swat with a hammer. Those things work very well and the impact holds the bit in the slot as it rotates the screw. Never heard of anybody busting the case. No need to beat on it with a 5 pound sledge.

kofkorn

Seaman Apprentice
Use a hand impact screwdriver. The kind you swat with a hammer.

Exactly. I use this setup and a drag link socket that I've ground down to fit the slot of the oil vent and drain screws. It never takes more than one smack to break it free and using the drag link socket, I've never damaged a screw. I've been flipping motors on craigslist for a couple of years now and replace the gear oil on each one. I've never had a problem using this setup.

Good luck.

Crosbyman

Rear Admiral
I have used my 20v screw impact drill with great success on stubborn screws

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Yeah, any of the above. (Hand impact driver works.)

But still partial to a big dog screwdriver with a blade big enough to fill the drain screw slot (think it's a half inch wide). I think my old go-to driver is 12-14" with a square shaft.