150 Johnson fuel problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

cork379

Cadet
I have a 99' 150 Johnson, with a fuel problem. After running a couple of hours the check engine light and alarm come on. If I squeeze the ball till its tight I can run for another 5 minutes before the alarm comes back on. So now I have to do this all the way home. Next time I take it out it will do the same thing. I replaced the VRO pump last year and have not had any problems for most of the season. Any thoughts?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Replaced the impeller in water pump ?------And test run with a " known to be good " portable tank and hose.

cork379

Cadet
I have not done the portable tank routine but the water pump impeller was changed last year and according to the gauge I am not having any overheating problems. Running at 140

racerone

Supreme Mariner
I am not there but the alarm could be a fuel restriction.---Hence the test run with a portable tank.

cork379

Cadet
Would a fuel leak cause the problem, when I store the engine in the up position I see some fuel in the transom well?

w2much

Lieutenant
I experienced the same issue with my 150. My issue was the VRO pump. I must add that I did as you are doing, pumping the ball and the alarm would go off. One time I did not and it ruined the powerhead. You must diagnose the issue as suggested above. Do not keep using it and hoping the alarm will go away. You have an issue which can not be ignored and can be an expensive fix.
I too thought I had a fuel restriction.If you do not deliver all the fuel to all of the cylinders at the same time you create a lean issue . Lean means no lubrication. You can run it and it will run fine until it dies.
Did you replace the VRO with a new one? Or a used one ? The VRO is the heart of your engine. You replaced the VRO last year and the problem went away now it is back ?. I know they are expensive but so is a rebuild.

cork379

Cadet
The pump was new, and there's probably less than 30 hours on it. Is there any way I can measure the inbound pressure of the pump? The last time I bought a pump it was $450, I would hate to replace it and find out it's not the problem.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
You use a vacuum gauge to measure your " inbound pressure". There's instructions in the factory service manual.

Last edited:

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Check Engine alarm on that motor is a fuel restriction. So clean the main strainer under the airbox, clean/replace the antisiphon valve in the fuel tank pickup line, and replace any other filters you have.

My old SeaRay had an antisiphon valve with a screen hidden under the fuel pickup tube. It got partially clogged and would not allow high speed operation.

Sirrobin53

Petty Officer 2nd Class
My anti-siphon valve at the tank created all kinds of problems with fuel delivery. I moved it behind the fuel filter and cleared up my problems.

bob johnson

Rear Admiral
so you have a new fuel pump, that still doesn't negate the possiblitiy that you have a fuel restriction further down the line all the way to the tank!!!! with the factory manual you could read the pattern of the alarms to help determine what it is signaling that's bad. usually a constant alarm is an over heat. But ill say those alarms go bad .... I got constant alarms for over heat and I could see the temp in each head.....it was not even warm... also I think when some components go bad you could get an alarm...like a over temp sensor being bad...might trigger an alarm....but this is all laid out in the factory manuals. Id check but I took the manuals I have home . I have just starting running v6's and am unfamiliar with the sound of the fuel restriction alarm... the V4's I usually ran, don't have that alarm

bob

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
If he has the System Check tach or gauge, there are four indicators of trouble plus a buzzer. The Check Engine indicator is separate from the overheat indicator, although the alarn (constant buzzer ) is common.

w2much

Lieutenant
For what it is worth and perhaps incorrect . When I had the same issue I did bring it to a local Evinrude certified shop which could not find the issue of why the alarm was going off. I was told it may be a bad tach (system check Tach). I replaced the tach but that did not solve the problem, a new VRO pump did. I spent a lot of time searching for a fuel restriction which did not exist. I hope you find one (fuel restriction ) as it will probably be a cheaper fix.

Status
Not open for further replies.