30 HP Johnson - Hard to start after long run when trimmed down

Hezekiah

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have had a habit this year of when I get to a fishing spot and drop the trolling motor, I trim my big motor all the way up out of the water. Now, when I make a run back to the boat ramp for instance, and leave the boat at the dock with the motor trimmed down, and come back to fire it up after getting the trailer - the motor doesn't want to start. It seems flooded. I then have to trim the motor up, let it set for a few minutes - and then it fires right up.

Is it flooding itself?

Does it need a carb rebuild?

This past week I pulled the carbs off and soaked them. The motor runs very strong...just hard to start trimmed down, until I trim it up and back down.

I am just looking for confirmation from anyone else that may have experienced this, and hoping they might confirm or deny that this may be what the issue is.

Thanks

RCO

Petty Officer 1st Class
Most likely you have a leaking needle and seat or float issue. When the motor is trimmed all the way down, the fuel is draining into the intake flooding it out.

Hezekiah

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Most likely you have a leaking needle and seat or float issue. When the motor is trimmed all the way down, the fuel is draining into the intake flooding it out.

Thanks for the reply.

Is this something a rebuild kit should fix?

RCO

Petty Officer 1st Class
Yes, the carb kit would include everything you need. Sometimes the float is a separate part, since it isn't usually needed. They are cheap enough that I always replace them. Iboats should have everything in stock.

Hezekiah

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Yes, the carb kit would include everything you need. Sometimes the float is a separate part, since it isn't usually needed. They are cheap enough that I always replace them. Iboats should have everything in stock.

Thank you very much

Hezekiah

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Model number is ?

J30RCCE

I rebuilt the carbs in March, and have been fishing just about every weekend since then. The motor runs great...I just think that everytime I trim the motor up to keep it out of the water, and the fuel draining out of the carbs each time I've done it...it has worn a part out or something.

As I mentioned in the first post - I pulled the carbs apart last week and soaked them real well for a few hours. It runs absolutely great..just this small issue.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
A 1988 model manual start.-----Just one carburetor on this motor.--------What is your starting procedure with motor cold?---What is your starting procedure with motor warm ?

Hezekiah

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Yes sir, just one carb. Manual start.

This motor starts almost first pull every time - hot or cold.

Cold startup procedure -
1. Pump primer ball till firm
2. Pump choke because it squirts the fuel directly into the carb
3. Pull choke out
4. Pull to start

Warm startup procedure:
1. Pull to start

Everything is basic

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Are you turning throttle against the nuetral stop ?-----Is thermostat installed and working correctly ??-------Try one or two pumps on the primer when motor has been shut off for more that 10 minutes.

Last edited:

Hezekiah

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Are you turning throttle against the nuetral stop ?-----Is thermostat installed and working correctly ??-------Try one or two pumps on the primer when motor has been shut off for more that 10 minutes.

I turn throttle just a hair off the lowest setting, to give it a little gas to help it start.

Thermostat is installed and working correctly, yes sir. It is actually fairly new as well.

Hezekiah

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Turn handle to the nuetral stop and try that.

Ok, will do.

I have the float from the last rebuild in March, I was contemplating swapping out the floats tonight before I took it out fishing tomorrow to see if that helps - but ultimately decided against it.

I will try as you suggest tomorrow with the throttle to the neutral stop.

Thanks for the input and suggestions.

Hezekiah

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Update for anyone having the same issue:

​Rebuilding the carb worked. Must have been something with the float or the float mechanism - not quite sure as there were no visible problems.

Thanks to the people who offered advice on this thread, it is always appreciated.

David Young

Chief Petty Officer
Great news! My carburetors looked good to me, I rebuilt them anyway with a full kit including new floats too. They work perfect now :)