1961 Johnson Seahorse RDSL-23 Bench testing Question

SgtSabotage

Cadet
So this is probably a stupid question but here goes. I got this motor last year and the last time I started the motor it was attached to the boat in a bucket. Now the motor is on a stand in the garage and I want to start it to tune and check the work that I have done to it. I was just going to jump the starter but I am not sure about the 4 smaller wires in the connector for the motor. Do I need to jump them or tie any of them to ground? I have the main power that goes to the starter(solenoid is also removed and out of the equation). The main ground cable. Then I have a plug with 4 wires, 2 black wires on the outside and a white wire(or yellow...lke it was white once) and a brown wire. The 2 black wires are for the magneto I believe. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Chris IMG_2960.JPG

lindy46

Captain
Are you just wanting to check the starter to see if it spins? Just use jumper cables directly to the starter terminals. You can't start the motor to tune it without it being in a bucket or on the boat in the lake.

SgtSabotage

Cadet
I made a stand and have a bucket set up. I guess what i am really asking is... Will I do any damage to the motor 'electronics' if I just jump the starter on the harness and leave the other wires disconnected? It is really hard to pull start.

RCO

Petty Officer 1st Class
The motor will start and run without any outside power, there is nothing electronic that can be damaged. You won't be able to shut it off unless you have the key hooked up, or make a jumper to ground the points.

hardwater fisherman

Lieutenant Commander
If using booster cables, ground the negative to the starter bracket and touch the positive to the positive lug on the starter.

SgtSabotage

Cadet
So I should ground the two black wires when I want to shut it down? I wasn't thinking of that.. guess I would have used a rag to choke it out. Thanks everyone. I work on modern cars so this is out of my element.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Make sure water is well above the pump in your test bucket.---And yes you can stop the motor by touching the 2 black wires together.----Not much " tuning " can be done in a bucket.----What other work was done to the motor ?

SgtSabotage

Cadet
I did plugs, wires, magnetos, thermostat, waterpump, cleaned the carb. I also wanted to check the oil in the lower gears but took out the wrong screw. What a pain that was getting it back together.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Yes , changing the oil is such an easy job and it can be done wrong.----You are not the first , nor the last to take out the pivot pin for the shift fork.

SgtSabotage

Cadet
No Title

Here are some pics. I don't have after pics of the magnetos.

Attachments

• photo256079.jpg
    photo256079.jpg
    239.1 KB · Views: 0
  • photo256080.jpg
    photo256080.jpg
    174.4 KB · Views: 0
  • photo256081.jpg
    photo256081.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 0

interalian

Commander
Yes , changing the oil is such an easy job and it can be done wrong.----You are not the first , nor the last to take out the pivot pin for the shift fork.

Rule of thumb on the old 'rudes -if it's a phillips head screw, leave it alone. Service screws are slotted. (The recoil mounting screw on a 2hp Mate is phillips - that's all I'm going to say...)

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
You can test for spark spinning the flywheel clockwise by hand. Set it down over the key and spin it -- use your adjustable spark tester to check (both plugs out to lessen compression and to keep from accidental starting). If you fire it up, do that only after the flywheel is properly torqued down or you can sheer the key.

SgtSabotage

Cadet
You can test for spark spinning the flywheel clockwise by hand. Set it down over the key and spin it -- use your adjustable spark tester to check (both plugs out to lessen compression and to keep from accidental starting). If you fire it up, do that only after the flywheel is properly torqued down or you can sheer the key.
umm yeah I could do that... but, the thing is that there is a cotter pin in the prop and I have spark because it runs with starter fuel. Oh yes and I like my fingers.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
By starter fuel, I take it you mean a 2-cycle fuel mix squirted in, and additionally that you are not dry running it. Wear leather gloves -- have routinely done this many times and have all my fingers....