1987 Evinrude 60HP (E60TLCUC) fuel filter question

sea-note

Recruit
Recently I acquired a boat with a 1987 60 HP Evinrude outboard motor. I have gotten the motor running however it was hesitating when under load and I had to gently bump and wait with the throttle to get the boat up on a plane. Once on a plane the motor seemed to run well however several times when I made a turn the engine bogged down and cut off. I noticed the first time that it cut off that I did not have the fuel line plugged in tight at the motor entry port. That was corrected but the problem still occured. I was able to resume by pumping the primer bulb (brand new tank to motor fuel line) several times. I pulled the cover off and noticed that the fuel filter did not have a fuel filter clamp and that the filter was what I believed to be inverted. IE the screw off cap was below the reservoir and filter. It was sitting in this position due to the curves in the fuel lines that connect to the fuel motor and the fuel connector assembly. I purchased a service manual and the picture of the filter in the manual shows the filter to be "upright." However when looking at any of the parts diagrams the filter appears to be "inverted."

So my question is does anyone know how the fuel filter is supposed to be oriented?

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks!

Attachments

• Fuel Filter.png
    Fuel Filter.png
    787.2 KB · Views: 1

Cat nip

Petty Officer 1st Class
I removed the filter under the carbs and installed a remote fuel filter / water separator. Maby that's an option for you? But it sounds like the carbs could use a good cleaning and sync.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Most of the clear white plastic factory fuel filters have an arrow on the side of the outer casing that is cast into the housing: shows the direction of fuel flow through the filter. The hoses going to the fuel filter is under pressure, so the hose ends need to be securely clamped to the hose barbs of the filter or they will leak air/fuel and cause running problems. If you find that the engine runs better when you have a buddy constantly prime the fuel line hose bulb all the time, that can be the sign of a weak fuel pump-in need of replacement.

sea-note

Recruit
So with the fuel being under pressure does it not matter which way the filter itself is oriented?

If it does matter then like I posted I found a photo in the shop manual that shows the filter housing removable cap side up and a parts diagram that shows the filter housing removable cap side down. I am assuming that the parts diagram would probably be correct because it is motor specific unlike the SM that covers a variety of evinrude motors and years.

Once I find out which way is correct or even if the direction matters I will definitely put some type of clamps on the hoses go to and from the filter.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
VRO disconnected (switched to 50:1 pre-mix)? Consider testing with a known-good portable tank and lines, with fresh fuel. Pulling in water could give you the symptoms you describe.

(Also, will want to change out the impeller as a first order of business in a new-to-you boat.)

interalian

Commander
Filters work best when the fuel flows in to the outside area where the media pleats are wide, and out the center of the media where the pleats all come together.

sea-note

Recruit
Yes VRO disconnected and using 50:1. Fresh fuel, brand new fuel line/primer bulb.

And changing the impeller was indeed the first order of business that I conducted with her.

To be honest I believe the hesitation issue was with the timing advance. The engine compartment was extremely...and I mean EXTREMELY filled with roaches and all that comes with an area being infested. I noticed that the timing advance appeared to be intermittently sticking so I have cleaned the crap out of it....literally. It seems to be running good now but I was waiting to find out which way the fuel filter fits inside of the fuel filter clamp (that is missing but will be ordered or made) before putting her back in the water to test her under a load. There has been zero hesitation issues when not under a load.

he filter is not an inline filter but is a cup type filter. I have never seen this type filter turned with the cap side down but again that appears to be the way that it has to be with the hoses that are currently on the motor and all of the parts diagrams that I have seen shows the filter assembly with the cap side down. I just do not know if the hoses are correct or if they are in the correct spots as it appears that the person who owned the boat before me had done some work on it.

Thanks again for the responses to my questions!!