1976 Evinrude 115hp 115699g

Parrothead71

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ok so this lower unit is riddled with issues.
Drive shaft has a groove in it from a seal that went bad, looking for ideas on repairing or should I just replace it.
Impeller housing was cracked so I'm guessing I had water getting everywhere in the exhaust housing.
Does anyone have a seal kit or do I need to order all of them individually? Or since they don't leak should I just not replace them...any broke don't fix it kind of thing.

Thank you in advance for any help!

F_R

Supreme Mariner
1. If shaft is beyond use, it will have to be replaced. Or, some machine shops could repair it.

2. Exhaust housing fills with water anyway, so that is not an issue. However, the pump housing obviously will have to be replaced. If it happens to still have the original aluminum pump housing, replace the entire water pump repair kit with the newer one with plastic housing and stainless steel liner.

3. Seal kit should be part number 18-2692, here at iboats

4. If it ain't broke------is still good advice. But wore out warrants repair.

humleridder

Cadet
You may be able to fill the groves with some metal padding of some sort and then machine it down to the exact size with a metal lathe. Thorough cleaning prior and a suitable product is key.

You will most likely be able to find water pump kits which includes the housing and seals for this.

It is always a good idea to put in new seals if you don't know their age and condition. Especially if the oil was emulsified (milky). You may be able to pressure or vacuum test the lower unit after having fixed the drive shaft issue and mounted a new seal there. That would be the way to check if you are able to save yourself from buying a seal kit. I would personally check the price of the seal kit and take that into account if it was my own engine.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Considering the price of gears and bearings makes a seal kit CHEAP.

Parrothead71

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The water pump and housing definitely have to go of course.
I'll look up that seal kit, that would be so much easier then ordering each one.
The drive shaft, luckily I work in a machine shop with a fantastic welding department. Even so I might try bringing it to crankshaft repair place and see if it's something they could do.
I'll let you all know how it turns out.

Thank you

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Your welding department would know that welding of precision shafts is not a good idea.---They tend to be bent after welding !!

Parrothead71

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Install a speedi sleeve...cheap and permanent fix.....

Ok so I'm looking into the sleeve but I have one question. The groove I'm trying to repair is above the water pump/ impeller. Is the sleeve going to interfere with replacing the impeller in the future as now the shaft will be about .020 larger at the sleeve?

interalian

Commander
Ok so I'm looking into the sleeve but I have one question. The groove I'm trying to repair is above the water pump/ impeller. Is the sleeve going to interfere with replacing the impeller in the future as now the shaft will be about .020 larger at the sleeve?

What seal is higher on the motor to gearcase driveshaft than the one below the water pump?

Parrothead71

Petty Officer 2nd Class
What seal is higher on the motor to gearcase driveshaft than the one below the water pump?

There is a small plate with a seal that bolts to the top of the pump/ impeller housing, that's the seal that went bad and marred the shaft.