Evinrude 4hp Outboard Motor Questions

Diesel boats

Recruit
[FONT=&quot]Just joined the forum and still learning. I recently purchased an Evinrude 4hp outboard motor and I am attempting to find information on it. The model number is 40606. The last digit is either a W or M. There is a scratch on it and not sure. Serial number is E0006504. When was it made?
I read that the best oil mixture is 8oz of TC-W3 oil to 1.5gal fuel. What is the name of the oil and where do you purchase it.
I only use pure gas, no ethanol. OK?
Plugs and gap?
Where is the best place to get a operating/repair manual?
Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.[/FONT]

Chryslerman123

Petty Officer 3rd Class
If the motor is from the 70's or 80's, you can buy a SELOC repair manual for it. It should have all the info you need to work on it and get it running.

Vic.S

Rear Admiral
[FONT=&quot]Just joined the forum and still learning. I recently purchased an Evinrude 4hp outboard motor and I am attempting to find information on it. The model number is 40606. The last digit is either a W or M. There is a scratch on it and not sure. Serial number is E0006504. When was it made?
I read that the best oil mixture is 8oz of TC-W3 oil to 1.5gal fuel. What is the name of the oil and where do you purchase it.
I only use pure gas, no ethanol. OK?
Plugs and gap?
Where is the best place to get a operating/repair manual?
Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.[/FONT]
I cannot find 40606 listed as a model number ... I suggest you check it ( it really is 4hp .... not 40hp ???? )

The correct fuel mix will depend upon the age. 1958 and prior used 20:1, 1959 thru 1963 used 24:1, 1964 and newer use 50:1.

TC-W3 is the specification of the oil for 2 stroke outboard engines.

Best to avoid high ethanol fuels if you can

When you have checked the model number it should be possible to advise on the correct spark plugs.

You also need to correctly identify the year model in order to obtain the correct manuals

Seloc manuals have been mentioned but cover a wide range of models, Hp and age.

You may find a workshop manual on-line at
http://boatinfo.no/lib/library.html ( They are mostly Seloc but there are a few OEM manuals as well)

You should be able to obtain model specific OEM manuals from Ken Cook at https://www.outboardbooks.com/
once you have correctly identified the model. These are the best but also the most expensive.

My best guess is that your model number is actually 4606M which would make it a 1976 model. The fuel mix will be 50:1 (2.56oz of oil per US gallon).
and the correct spark plugs will be Champion J6C gapped at 0.030"

hidef

Lieutenant
Assuming you made a typo it is 1976 4 hp 4606M. You should use 25:1 in that engine 50:1 is to lean for the four horse as those models used bushings instead of needle bearings on the crank ends 50:1 doesn't provide enough lubrication. They are good little outboard and very easy to maintain.

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
50-1 is fine for that motor, no issues at all running that mix. I had one for a long time and the owners manual recommended a 50-1 mix. . As long as it is a post 1964 model

Vic.S

Rear Admiral
Assuming you made a typo it is 1976 4 hp 4606M. You should use 25:1 in that engine 50:1 is to lean for the four horse as those models used bushings instead of needle bearings on the crank ends 50:1 doesn't provide enough lubrication. They are good little outboard and very easy to maintain.

50-1 is fine for that motor, no issues at all running that mix. I had one for a long time and the owners manual recommended a 50-1 mix. . As long as it is a post 1964 model

It is true that only the upper crankshaft bearing is a neelle bearing

Chinewalker's advice on the engine FAQs board is in fact to use a little extra oil. He uses 40:1 in a 1972 model

see http://forums.iboats.com/forum/engi.../162218-fuel-oil-mix-most-motors-covered-here

Diesel boats

Recruit
Thanks for the responses to my questions.
Here are photos of the motor.
Model number correction, my error, is 40607. The last letter is either an M or W.
I did get it running and seems fairly smooth, but I didn't run it long as wasn't sure of gas mixture.

The pull cord is very sluggish on the return and as soon as I get a manual, I'll see what that problem is.
Again, I thank you all for your answers.

Attachments

• Outbd-1.JPG
    Outbd-1.JPG
    50.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Outbd2.JPG
    Outbd2.JPG
    49.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Outbd3.JPG
    Outbd3.JPG
    64.1 KB · Views: 0

F_R

Supreme Mariner
That model number makes even less sense. But pictures say it is a common 1976 4hp Weedless. Try squirting some mineral spirits into the recoil spring. May save you the chore of taking it apart.

Crosbyman

Rear Admiral
well 4606 with a W is a 76 weedless (angled gearcase) according to that parts listing place we all look at and post #5 hidef

those recoil winders are a bit of a pain sometimes especially if the flat washer was left out between the back plate and the plastic sleeve at the back

​if it is to sluggish it may need a few extra turn to tighten the rewind spring a bit . I just loop the cord around the slot after extending out I hold the cord to keep it from spooling and then loop the slack end around the winder by squeezing it past the block arm