1994 Johnson 88 SPL issues

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Pull the head first on the side with the bad compression as it may be just a blown head gasket.

Chris_94_Sprint_TX

Petty Officer 1st Class
Haven't had a chance to get to it yet. Every time I gather some tools, something gets in the way.

Chris

Chris_94_Sprint_TX

Petty Officer 1st Class
Finally got some time to try and find parts. Was gonna purchase gaskets anyway and take it apart to see what the deal was. But having a hard time locating parts that aren't stupid expensive. I know its a boat but some of these prices were ridiculous.

Chris

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Don't buy any parts or gaskets until you remove the head and covers. Find out what the issue is and then make a plan before spending money.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
What parts are you needing and what is " stupid expensive " to you.

Chris_94_Sprint_TX

Petty Officer 1st Class
Ok, I pulled the covers and noticed what seems to be a lot of blow by on the cylinder walls. Also,some pitting on a piston and cover where it seems a ring broke ant got into the chamber. Anybody have pictures or a write up on changing rings?

Chris

interalian

Commander
Ok, I pulled the covers and noticed what seems to be a lot of blow by on the cylinder walls. Also,some pitting on a piston and cover where it seems a ring broke ant got into the chamber. Anybody have pictures or a write up on changing rings?

Chris

Find the OMC Service Manual for your year and motor. All the details are in there. Basically, the powerhead has to come off, crank case split...