1994 Johnson 88 SPL issues

Chris_94_Sprint_TX

Petty Officer 1st Class
This is my first 2 stroke outboard. Doesn't sound right to me and seems like its not running right. Revs quick which is good has good water discharge. But its hard to start at times and sometimes dies when going into gear, mostly when I'm on the lake with it. Once it gear it runs alright most of the time, a few times it had a tick like a valve tapping in SBC 350. I switched to the Johnson brand 2 stroke oil and it seems to have gone away.

Chris

racerone

Supreme Mariner
The first step is a compression test on these motors.----They have a history of breaking the piston rings.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
The range isn't as important as all of them being close together.

Gauges can read differently, sometimes significantly.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Depends on the gauge you are using.----I would like to see 120 PSI on all 4 on my gauge.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Like he said, but one gauge could read 120 PSI and another could read 100 PSI, so you need to know your gauge.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Outboards may need water pump service every year or two, depending on use (usually means switching out the impeller). Check for under oiling and over heating. Use a 50:1 2-cycle mix. Head temp should not exceed 160F (top of the head should not be too hot to touch). Always some rattling going on (maybe something like light 4-cycle tappet or valve train noise, as described in your first post) but should not be any knocking. (I was unable to access your video clip.)

interalian

Commander
Sounds pretty normal to me. Note: you really shouldn't rev the motor in neutral. Bad things can happen.

Chris_94_Sprint_TX

Petty Officer 1st Class
It's not something I make a habit of or at least revving to WOT. Sometimes I have to rev it to a fast idle in neutral when on the lake to get it to stay running. It seems to shake a lot at idle but the video doesn't show it very well. I've always taken that as normal since I don't believe it's misfiring.

Chris

Chris

Fed

Commander
You haven't lived until you've heard one rev in gear on the muffs using the throttle controller, they sound like F1 race cars.:eek:

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Sorry, but if you have to rev it in nuetral out on the lake there is something wrong with the motor !---I would remove the 4 bypass covers for inspection of pistons and rings.

Chris_94_Sprint_TX

Petty Officer 1st Class
Racerone when that happens it acts like it cold and I idle it up a little for a few minutes and it works alright. I'm gonna do a compression check today before I winterize it.

Chris

Chris_94_Sprint_TX

Petty Officer 1st Class
I checked yesterday and it appears I have a dead cylinder. 3 cylinders read at 120psi on my gauge and one barely showed anything. So I guess I know what I will be doing over the winter. I guess I need to go invest in a SELOC manual now for the rebuild process. What kind of a PITA am I in for?

Chris

racerone

Supreme Mariner
See post # 3 on this.-----Just took a 93 model 90 hp apart this week.--One piston with broken top ring.------I have done many of these and it is not hard to do.----Just ask questions BEFORE using a hammer.

interalian

Commander
Don't "invest" in a Seloc manual - you can find them free at boatinfo.no. If you plan on doing a rebuild, find the original OMC Service Manual for your year. It's chock full of good information - far more useful than Seloc.

If it were my motor, I'd pull the head off the side with bad compression. No need to remove coils or the water jacket cover - just disconnect the wires and remove the 10 bolts and the hose at the bottom.

Chris_94_Sprint_TX

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks guys. I'll probably be tackling this starting next month. Thanks for that website interalian.

Chris