Want to add tell tale (pee hole) on a 1970 60hp johnson

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Is that ok to hammer on this part of the engine? It wont crack anything or screw it up?

I had to use on of those tools before, just not on a boat motor. Is heating it up with a torch out of the question?

You don't have to beat the snot out of hose tools. The motor can take it. Heat is not out of the question, as a last resort. But if the plug is brass, heat may be counter-productive. Brass expands faster when heated than aluminum does. In other words. it will get tighter when heated.

thegipper

Petty Officer 1st Class
The plug is not brass, looks like its steel. I'll try the tool you suggested tomorrow, hopefully it breaks loose.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
With a nod to both F_R and Snap-On tools, an alternative shadetree method is to use a big bladed screwdriver, with a vise grip clamped onto the blade or just above it (10 or 12 inch screwdriver with a square shaft is ideal). Critical thing is the blade has to fit the slot well. Bear down vertically on the driver, and use the vise grip for leverage. A little rocking can sometimes help break it loose, but need steady pressure applied -- with a little bit of feel.

thegipper

Petty Officer 1st Class
I put a large flat head screw driver bit in a socket/ratchet and pushed down as hard as I could and turned it with the ratchet. It would not budge and started to strip. I think the impact screw driver may be the only thing that is going to break it loose and I may still have to put heat on it.

Nothing is easy...ever.

thegipper

Petty Officer 1st Class
No Title

Well I finally got that plug out! Man that thing was in there good. I first tried using a big impact driver like the one suggested and it still wouldn't move. I then pulled out the MAP gas and started to heat it up. After several sessions of heating and beating, it finally started to come out.

The threads are 1/8" pipe threads. I just need to order the pee hole for the lower cowl and hook it up.

Attachments

• photo257649.png
    photo257649.png
    418 KB · Views: 2

thegipper

Petty Officer 1st Class
Alright guys, I got it all hooked up. I just used some clear tubing I had laying around. What do you think?
20170120_163130.jpg

David Young

Chief Petty Officer
I might try this on my 1977 70 horsepower Evinrude motor. I'm going to use automotive higher temperature tubing 'if' I do mine :)

thegipper

Petty Officer 1st Class
This tubing is rated to 160 degrees. I figured since the head only gets warm and you can put your hand on it, the tube should be fine. I'll keep an eye on it and replace if necessary.

David Young

Chief Petty Officer
This tubing is rated to 160 degrees. I figured since the head only gets warm and you can put your hand on it, the tube should be fine. I'll keep an eye on it and replace if necessary.

​The plastic tubing should work fine. I just ordered my outlet elbow and its made out of plastic. Good job on what you've done. I can't wait to do mine when the weather warms up some. I have to drill a hole in the top of the motor on mine, I didn't get lucky like you did :)

thegipper

Petty Officer 1st Class
How does this motor run ?----Have you had it running recently ?

Motor runs great. I bought the boat this last summer (project boat) and so far, the motor has been the one nice thing. Motor starts instantly, idles low and smooth. It may have a minor leak in one of the seals in the lower unit. When I drained the oil, it was milky but the guy had some make shift plastic O rings on the fill/drain plugs which clearly were not the correct ones. I'm hoping that is all it is otherwise I'll have to figure out which seal is messed up. Shifts good too.

Boat is a 16' star craft. It does about 30mph with two big guys in it.