Want to add tell tale (pee hole) on a 1970 60hp johnson

thegipper

Petty Officer 1st Class
So I did some searching and found some generic instructions on how to do it. Does anyone have any specific instructions on exactly where/how to do it on a 1970 60hp johnson? I get the idea that you want to tap into the water jacket (as high as possible) tap with 1/8" pipe thread, then install a 90deg nipple and hook up the hose.

Some people say that it will reduce the pressure in the waterjacket leading to lower cooling, is that true?

Some people say there is already a bolt/plug somewhere that you can just remove and replace with the nipple?

Anyone have any definitive advice? Pictures? Write ups?

I'm going to check my controls and see if there is a high temp alarm/light? Also, how would you test it to make sure it works?

Thanks

thegipper

Petty Officer 1st Class
No Title

So this is the controls I have for the motor. It does have a "hot light". How can I go about testing the light and making sure the sensor actually works? I would still like to add the tell tale (pee hole).

Thanks

Attachments

• photo255476.jpg
    photo255476.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 0

thegipper

Petty Officer 1st Class
Also, the throttle is kind of tough to move and so is the idle lever. Can this be taken apart and lubed? Or should I not be taking this apart? There is an adjustment knob for "throttle tension" or something like that but it is really hard to turn and doesn't seem to change the tension in the throttle lever.

Do the cables maybe just need to be lubed?

Thanks guys

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Okay let's see if we can answer some of your questions. I have never installed a pee tale in that year engine, but I have installed one in a 1976 40 HP Johnson. And I was able to locate a place on the very top of the engine to drill into and tap. However, at that time I did have the head off and could easily see where the drilling was going.

The reason you want to go into the very top is to eliminate any air pockets that could occur in the water system. I can't answer if it reduces the pressure or not, but you will know instantly if your water pump/impeller is working. I would take a serious look at a exploded view of your engine and see where it would work out best. You have to drill into the water jacket, but not any further. And before drilling, make certain it won't interfere with anything else on the engine. Some use a drill bit with grease applied on it to help capture the drill filings.

To test the sensor, trace the wires to the sensor from the control unit and either remove the sensor from the engine and use a hair drier to see if it triggers when it gets hot enough or you can try to heat it in place. But the surrounding aluminum could sink the heat faster then the hair drier could apply it. IDK.

As far as the throttle being hard to move, you could have either the remote control unit itself needing service, OR the cables running to the engine has some issues. Remove the cables from the control unit at the engine and see if the control is easier to move. If it moves well, the engine needs looked at. If it still is hard to move you need to open up the control unit and see what is the problem. It still could easily be the cables. But until you remove the controls and open them up, you have no actual answer. JMHO

racerone

Supreme Mariner
No need to drill.----Find the plug that is there already and use it.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
No need to drill.----Find the plug that is there already and use it.

Thanks racerone, if anybody would know it would be you. I have no idea what his engine looks like or how it is built. So knowing there is a plug already there makes it easy.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Look right forward of one of the bolts that hold the lifting ring on. There should be a brass plug there---I think.

Restrict your pee tube down to a thin stream and you won't have any significant effect on cooling supply.

thegipper

Petty Officer 1st Class
Excellent, thanks guys! Found it now.

So I should just remove this plug and put a nipple fitting on it (as small as possible) and route the hose out of the case somewhere? Any suggestions on what size hose (as small as possible)?

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Think you could probably just pick up a brass elbow to match the plug at a hardware store. Might check the iBoats parts for the plastic fitting that goes in the lower cowling -- would presumably give you a hose size. (Check an '80s or '90s model, pretty much any horsepower.)

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Plug threads are 1/8" NPT pipe threads---I think. Yeah, best way to hook it up is use the plastic fitting that snaps into the lower cowl. It has the correct restriction. Used on a multitude of newer motors.

thegipper

Petty Officer 1st Class
Plug threads are 1/8" NPT pipe threads---I think. Yeah, best way to hook it up is use the plastic fitting that snaps into the lower cowl. It has the correct restriction. Used on a multitude of newer motors.

Does anyone have a part number for the fitting that snaps into the lower cowl? I tried searching on here, but I cannot find it.

Thanks!

thegipper

Petty Officer 1st Class
Never mind, I found the part numbers in a different post. Can I just buy a 1/8" thread elbow pipe fitting with a 1/4" nipple? I cannot find the specs on the nipple size for the sierra/omc parts. My local hardware store has the elbows with a 1/4" nipple but I need to know if that is the correct size.

The cowel fitting I will have to order for sure. Amazon has it for 12 bucks shipped.

thegipper

Petty Officer 1st Class
No Title

I think I found the plug, can anyone confirm this is in fact the plug? The replacement plug uses a allen wrench to remove it and this just needs a screwdriver. This is the only plug I can find on the top of the motor. I'm pretty sure this is it.

Thanks

Attachments

• photo257583.jpg
    photo257583.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 6

thegipper

Petty Officer 1st Class
Ok I have a new problem. I'm 99% sure that is the correct plug but the problem is I cannot get it off. At first I tried a screw driver, but it wouldn't budge. I then tried using a large flat head bit in a 1/4" socket with a ratchet. I pushed down as hard as I could and tried to turn it but it wouldn't budge at all and felt like it was starting to strip.

Any trick for getting this plug out? My guess is its never been removed. Do i need to heat it up real good or something?

Thanks!

F_R

Supreme Mariner
No Title

Magic tool for difficult screws in an outboard is a hand impact screwdriver. When you swat it with a hammer, the bit rotates and at the same time, the hammer impact keeps it from jumping out of the slot. No outboard mechanic can live without one. Some work extremely well, some are junk. I've had my Snap-On for over 60 years.

Attachments

• photo104982.jpg
    photo104982.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 0

thegipper

Petty Officer 1st Class
Is that ok to hammer on this part of the engine? It wont crack anything or screw it up?

I had to use on of those tools before, just not on a boat motor. Is heating it up with a torch out of the question?