1994 Johnson 150 Fast Strike Compression

motoman

Seaman
I am looking at a boat with a 94 Johnson Fast Strike 150. I just went to look, but how warm should the engine be to test the compression ? To make sure I wanted to pursue any further I will go back for a compression check, how warm does the engine need to be to get a good reading? Can it be checked by running on muffs?

boobie

Supreme Mariner
It really doesn't have to be warm but if it makes you feel better, run it for 10 min on the muffs and then check it.

motoman

Seaman
I went back this evening and was able to run it for a bit on the muffs. When we removed the plugs they were warm but not hot ..When we checked the compression om the right bank from top to bottom we had 90,90,85 and on the left bank we had the same 90,90,85 . It has even numbers but would it increase as the temp went up or does that seem to low ?

motoman

Seaman
I thought it looked pretty good also. went ahead and picked it up this afternoon . I am sure I will have more questions since it is so much different than than the 1975 70 Evinrude I have had the last few years . Should have no problem pushing the Hydra-Sport LS175 Both are in great shape !!!! Thanks for the responses .