1977 55HP Johnson Outboard Lower Unit

rjcamel2355

Petty Officer 1st Class
Does anyone happen to know what year/HP Range will interchange? A friend of mine had his lower go down on him over the weekend, and I've decided to help him search for a replacement.

Thank you!

gm280

Supreme Mariner
What exactly is wrong with his lower unit? Parts can be found for them yet.

rjcamel2355

Petty Officer 1st Class
He was running it across the lake a few months back, and it shut down (locked up) towed it back for him, and he finally got around to taking a look at it. Lower unit was full of water, no gear lube. Got it to break free, filled it up with lube, and it did good for about a 4 mile trip, before it started grinding and such.

I could be wrong, but I imagine a used/reman one is a little cheaper than having one rebuilt....

racerone

Supreme Mariner
It will shock you on price of repair parts.---Good used if there is such a thing is the way to go.-----Find a donor motor is often the best way.----Those lower units are not known for durability. and are not robust.

mlaajanen

Seaman
It will shock you on price of repair parts.---Good used if there is such a thing is the way to go.-----Find a donor motor is often the best way.----Those lower units are not known for durability. and are not robust.

What are there durability problems and what is not robust in the design?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Pinion gear is known to shatter.----Clutch dog is known to shatter.-----That is why the 2 cylinder motor gets a hybrid 3 cylinder lower unit for commercial use.----The 3 cylinder motor uses a 3 cylinder lower for commercial use.

rjcamel2355

Petty Officer 1st Class
Would a 70hp johnson of the same era (76-78ish) be interchangeable or no? I know the 70 is a 3 cyl and the 55 is a 2cyl

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Pinion gear is known to shatter.----Clutch dog is known to shatter.-----

My 77 55 HP has had no such issues and I'd like to see that super robust LU that can run water. Because of the age of the motor I suspect the seals were bad as I had to replace mine. There's nothing wrong with these LU's if you keep gear oil in them.

Would a 70hp johnson of the same era (76-78ish) be interchangeable or no? I know the 70 is a 3 cyl and the 55 is a 2cyl

No the 70 uses a large gear case with a different gear ratio. You'll most likely find it easier to find a replacement motor than a new LU for the motor and sell the 55 power head. Too bad your buddy didn't spend 20 bucks on new seals.