92 15hp johnson no spark? Kill switch?

tony6813

Seaman
Motor has been sitting 10 yrs in family basement.now no spark, any ideas? And why is there a zip tie on kill button on tiller handle? Rope start.

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
The kill switch is on the end of the tiller there should be a safety lanyard with a clip attached to it. The zip tie is holding the button out in the run position but it may have failed over time and let the button move back in to the kill position.To see if that is the problem pull out on the button and see if you have spark. Get a replacement clip or new zip tie on it.

tony6813

Seaman
I have the clip, and it looks like the clip is not keeping switch apart internal, need a new switch?

AlTn

Commander
follow the wires coming from the switch back beyond the tiller handle to a connector..unscrew or pull the connector apart < forget which >...do you have a spark now when trying to start?..if not...go to cdielectronics.com/troubleshooting to find a troubleshooting chart for your engine....you have the ufi ignition which is an odd bird that they used for 4 years

tony6813

Seaman
No Title

I did pull that connector apart and got spark. motor started right up. New switch?

Attachments

• photo211263.jpg
    photo211263.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 3

AlTn

Commander
on the only one I've fooled with the owner bought a new switch and installed it before I could try any other fix...I would suggest trying to get some electrical contact cleaner inside the switch body somehow to see if that is enough to do the job, it doesn't come apart to service as I recall, but at the price of a new switch I'd try something else first

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Think I would find the ends of the switch leads and do a simple continuity test -- see if the kill switch is working (should see continuity with the clip out, no continuity with the clip in place). Agree that the price of replacement is ridiculous, although might be able to find one on eBay. Alternatively, maybe you could substitute a horn button or something similar -- might fit in the bracket for the factory switch.

If those plugs in your picture are from the motor, appears one is running hot, or maybe one is rich/cold. Think it might be good in any case to check spark and compression -- need an adjustable spark tester to check both the existence of and quality of spark. I have a '90 with that under flywheel ignition, and it's working fine to date. The UFI power pack is more subject to overheating, though, so wise to check spark.

In addition, after a 10 year layup will want to replace the impeller.

tony6813

Seaman
plugs are not from motor. site would not let me post without a pic, dont know why? Switch is a sealed unit. testing it later. thanks