Non normal flow through pee hole. 1987 Evinrude 20 HP

green head

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 1987 Evinrude 20 HP model E20CRCUR. The motor started to not force a constant stream out the pee hole. I'd say it was 50-60% of normal. So I replaced the whole water pump. Now the stream is about 75% of normal. The impeller had some rubber missing, pieces that could be several mm in size. I am wondering if those pieces could have gotten lodged somewhere and caused a reduction in the stream.

Any opinions? And if I am on the right track how can I back flush the cooling system?

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Yes the pieces can end up in the block. Check the pee-hole tube or inlets for a blockage, could be there. To flush pull the thermostat out and run the motor that way on muffs and check the flow and see if pieces come out. To backflush you can also run a hose into the thermostat hole and back flush that way but make sure the lower unit is off for that. And when the lower unit is off you can run the garden hose through the water pump tube to flush from the bottom.

Last edited:

green head

Seaman Apprentice
I checked the pee-hole tube and found 2 pieces of impeller that were 3-4 mm in size. I hooked it up to some muffs and ran it on a stand and the pee-hole stream was 100%. Thanks flyingscott

Kloctower

Seaman
I'm sure people have told you already but you should try a piece of strong but flexible wire or weed wacker line through the fitting to try to loosen up anything in there and get it to come out. There is also backflushing that way if any pieces of impeller are stuck and too large to Come Thru you can push them back out but you would need to remove the lower and flush through the thermostat or Through the Telltale or pisser. I was able to remove an obstruction once by using compressed air into The Telltale or pee hole maybe you could give it a shot? Be careful don't use too much pressure.