1958 evinrude twin 35 hp

Lower

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ok so I just found this motor for practically nothing and fell in love with it. Plan on putting it on the '63 Starcraft lancer I'm restoring. Questions:
1.) need good manual, suggestions?
2.) the lower unit is off and I have a good one that came with it, he says one rod is different and needs to be switched out, any way of knowing what year the replacement is?
3.) before I start putting this back together is there any thing I should be doing while its apart?

I'm pretty mechanically inclined but zero outboard experience. Will post pics tomorrow!

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Just beware when ordering parts,there were two versions of the 35hp in 1958. They both had the same bore and stroke, but one was the same as the 1957 35hp(Big Twin), the other(Lark) was a more advanced engine with was called in the Johnson line as 'Super Quiet'. These engines had thermostats, recirculating cooling systems, and different midsections.

Lower

Petty Officer 2nd Class
This motor under the hood doesn't look like it's seen much run time, seems odd. I'll post some more pics later. Any problems with making this a restore thread?

Lower

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No Title

Here is the motor and boat it's going on

Attachments

• photo254853.JPG
    photo254853.JPG
    74.5 KB · Views: 0
  • photo254854.JPG
    photo254854.JPG
    281.9 KB · Views: 0

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Just beware when ordering parts,there were two versions of the 35hp in 1958. They both had the same bore and stroke, but one was the same as the 1957 35hp(Big Twin), the other(Lark) was a more advanced engine with was called in the Johnson line as 'Super Quiet'. These engines had thermostats, recirculating cooling systems, and different midsections.

Just to clear up any doubt, that is a '58 Evinrude Big Twin 35. A lot different than a Lark 35.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Time to do a full inspection of this motor before even making an attemt to start it.----Look through the inspection port on the flywheel.---Are the coils cracked or new replacements already ?---Do you have the proper fuel tank for this motor ?

Lower

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Just to clear up any doubt, that is a '58 Evinrude Big Twin 35. A lot different than a Lark 35.

Yea that's what I thought, I ran the model number but I started doubting myself

Lower

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Time to do a full inspection of this motor before even making an attemt to start it.----Look through the inspection port on the flywheel.---Are the coils cracked or new replacements already ?---Do you have the proper fuel tank for this motor ?

Am I correct in thinking this is a two line pressurized fuel system? No I don't have the tank. Somebody suggested converting it to a fuel pump single line but I think I like the original...just because.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Either system works fine. Your choice. Pressure tanks are pretty easy to find in some parts of the country, harder in others. Non-pressure tanks are everywhere. BTW, that motor is easy to convert. In fact, they sold a fuel pump kit as an accessory when it was new. It already has bypass covers that accept a fuel pump. Minor drilling and tapping required.

Lower

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I hope to start back in on it this weekend. I will start here and then maybe you guys can walk me through putting the lower end back on at some point.

Does anyone know if I can buy a copy of the manual that's available on this site, the one crosbyman posted the link to? It seems more detailed than some of the others I've seen

Lower

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Any chance anyone would know the value of a clean 57 electric start with gas tank? Stumbled onto one that I'm gonna buy If turns Out be decent deal

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
A lot of variables, cosmetics the biggest for me.

Also, is it mechanically done, or in as is condition.

First step, on the motor you want to buy, and your own motor as well, is to test compression. Don't do anything until you determine it is worth putting money into.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
In my area, a parts motor (non runner) would be 50 to 150 dollars, cosmetics depending.

A tuned up runner, ready to go about 350 to 450.

Rough idea of course.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
I sold a couple of good runners last Spring for $600, with a couple of tanks ('57 Johnson 35s.) The tanks were clean but needed rebuilding (resealing). Cosmetics were decent, but hadn't been detailed. (I was looking for $350 each, but buyer wanted both and I wanted to move both.) Compression was 125 and even -- both electric start with harnesses (good harness on one, fair to poor on the second).

Just depends....

Lower

Petty Officer 2nd Class
That's what I'm wanting, rough idea. Thanks guys. A little piece of me wants to buy it and use the one I have now for parts motor.