Phase separated fuel, which layer is the gas?

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
Just like the tittle says, anyone know which of the three layers is the fuel?

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Whats left of the fuel should be the top layer, fuel floats on water. Unusable though.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Nothing wrong with the fuel at top. Its the crud in the bottom layers that is not useable

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Don't laugh. I've done that before when the price of fuel was really high.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Nothing wrong with the fuel at top. Its the crud in the bottom layers that is not useable
​HHmm... I was just leary of using fuel that went that far south. I figure that new fuel is better than old. But I have used some borderline stuff up a little at a time mixed with new.

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
Thanks, kinda what I figured. I have so much of the stuff, I am trying to figure out what to do with it. Was thinking of siphoning it off and using it in the lawn mower or pressure washer; something that has an easy to get to carb and fuel tank. Maybe use the bottom parts to water the unwanted weeds, just kidding:)

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Testing plastic fuel tamks, we filled them, let them sit for 4 weeks to promote phase separation for the impact testing

Scott Danforth

Staff member
How would phase seperation effect tank impacts?

Its part of the testing to certify tanks for EPA compliance. It doesn't affect it, however the tests require it. They also required us to do impact tests at 30 below

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
At 30 below, is the bottom crud frozen or does the alcohol act as antifreeze, Scott.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
The alcohol simply separated. Alcohol doesn't freeze. The impact test at 30 below is more for the tank material