1978 evinrude 115 wrong adaptor housing??

Txevinrude

Recruit
Ok guys got a 1978 evinrude 115, 115899c. I rebuilt the power head and when I go to bolt it up I realize that the six long bolts don't line up. These bolts were already missing when I took it apart I just thought somebody left them out. Anyone ran into this before?

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
Is the model number from the mid or the powerhead?

What numbers are stamped in the powerhead welch plug?

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Think you've got some mis-matched parts. OMC changed the exhaust adapter when they switched from the old single thermostat to the newer dual stats in 1978. My guess is that you've got a newer block and an older midsection and exhaust adapter. They are not compatible with each other. Also, the shifter mechanisms under the bottom carb are different. That's because the two lower units shift backwards from each other. (the only exception is that the 77 140 engine got the newer/dual stat arrangement. In 78 all the other V4 hp's got the update. )

Txevinrude

Recruit
ok well i lost interest in it but now im back at it again. I got the number off the transom bracket, there is no number on the powerhead at all. I am at a loss any help would be appreciated. It has dual thermostats. I will take pictures tomorrow and post maybe someone can help.