New to me ..1956 Evinrude 15 hp Fast Twin... A Little help and information..

icuOklaCity

Cadet
New member and new owner of a 1956 Evinrude 15hp Fasttwin...

I have zero history on this motor... I bought it from a younger guy and his wife for 50 bucks... He didn't have any information on the motor as he had never seen it run. It was giving to him when is grandfather pasted and didn't have a need for it...

The motor has good compression, spark and looks as if it was ran completely out of fuel as I can't see any lacquer in the clear fuel bowl...
There is a good amount of gear oil build up on the lower unit and prop. The prop shaft turns freely and gears seem to be in good shape. Not much Gear oil left in it, and it differently will need a seal kit.
I also got the orginal fuel tank and was supprized on how clean the inside was. Motor has not had a fuel pump mod to move it from 2 line to 1 line system..

I have replaced the spark plugs, and basic cleaning of build up oil and grim... Washed out fuel tank to remove any thing I couldnt see that might have been in the fuel tank.....

I don't see any reason why this motor shouldn't run once I replace the old fuel lines.

I just have a few questions....

First, is there anything that I need to do, or should know about before I try to start it...???
Should I convert it from pressureized tank 2 line system to the 1 line "fuel pump" system...???
Also on the fuel tank, there is a fuel line coupler that has 2 small "pins" 1 on each side of fuel line. Is there a special coupler that is needed to run the fuel lines from the tank to the motor. Those "pins" push in like they might open some type of value when the fuel lines are connected...???

I'll post pictures of fuel tank coupler if needed ..

Thanks..

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Welcome to iboats

Every pressurized tank I've ever seen had the fuel and air lines permanently attached to the tank. Only the engine end had a connector. Pressure tanks did have pressure relief vents to keep the tanks from being over pressurized. If you replace the hoses, make sure they are hoses that can be pressurized.
Pictures of the tank and connector/coupler would be nice.

A new water pump impeller is also a MUST do, Having the gear case pressure and vacuum tested would be a good idea too

F_R

Supreme Mariner
No Title

If the tank has those two small pins that are pushed in when the hose is connected, it is not a pressure tank. However, it is the sort of tank that would be used if you choose to convert to a fuel pump. So now the question becomes are you sure the motor hasn't been converted?

Also, any 1956 Evinrude has bad (cracked) coils unless they have already been replaced. Easy to check, simply remove the recoil starter, then the thin plate that covers an inspection hole in the flywheel. With that plate off, you can look in and see if the coils are cracked. If they are, you are just wasting your time until you replace them. New ones are available here at iboats.

Attachments

• photo237493.jpg
    photo237493.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 1

icuOklaCity

Cadet
Hey thanks Jimmbo and F_R.... Hey are a couple pictures of both the fuel take coupler and coupler on the motor... I'm pretty sure its a pressuized tank and system, thats the only reason I know of to have a "air" and "fuel" (draw) lines in a tank... But, I might be wrong... And seeing how this is the first time I've every messed with this old of a outboard motor.. Really haven't meessed with any outboard other then normally maintance... WP_20161028_21_06_48_Pro.jpg WP_20161028_21_05_03_Pro.jpg WP_20161028_21_04_52_Pro.jpg

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Well the engine has the pressurized fuel connector. The tank is not a pressure tank.

You have two options, one is to find a pressure tank, the other, is to add a fuel pump to the engine.$T2eC16N,!)8E9s4l6cOwBSPm9MVV6Q~~60_35.jpg

Last edited:

F_R

Supreme Mariner
icuOk, if you look closely at your tank you will see only one of those connector pieces are hollow---the one the fuel flows through. There is no second one to pass air. So, it is not a pressure tank. FYI, about those two little pins, one is a fuel shut-off valve to prevent gas from slopping out when the hose is disconnected, and the other is a vent valve to allow air to enter the tank to replace the fuel that is pumped out.

Yep, the picture that jimmbo posted is a pressue tank.

icuOklaCity

Cadet
Well thanks again to you 2 for the replies and information....Next question would be, are pressurized tanks ready avaliable..??? And I would think that changing over to 1 line "fuel pump" system would be more relieable ... and probaly cheaper.... If I do change it over to 1 line system, will I be able to use modern plastic fuel tanks..?

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
Yes, pressure tanks are fairly easy to come by. Post a wanted ad at aomci.org in the classifieds, a local member should be able to help.

Yes, if you install fuel pump, you will run a single line, and can use the modern plastic tanks. Cheaper? Likely not, by the time you buy the tank, line, bulb, fittings, the motor side fitting, the fuel pump, new bypass cover or fuel barb, etc....

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
No Title

easy to install a fuel pump and use regular gas tanks
​ just plug the air pressure nipple behind the carb change the side connector for a standard one line hose

Attachments

• photo240450.jpg
    photo240450.jpg
    295.4 KB · Views: 1
  • photo240451.jpg
    photo240451.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 1
  • photo254689.jpg
    photo254689.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 1

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Well thanks again to you 2 for the replies and information....Next question would be, are pressurized tanks ready avaliable..??? And I would think that changing over to 1 line "fuel pump" system would be more relieable ... and probaly cheaper.... If I do change it over to 1 line system, will I be able to use modern plastic fuel tanks..?

It would also be safer. With a pressure system, a leak in the air line means, row row row your boat... More important, any leak in the fuel line results in a gas leak, which continues until either the tank is empty or the pressure equals atmospheric. Diligence would be depressurizing the tank every time you shut off the engine for more than a few minutes. Switching to a fuel pump system allows using a variety of fuel tanks including built in tanks. To do so with the pressure system is hard to do as not many, if any, tank builders would make a tank that would be USCG approved.
Most of the pressure tanks still around are in sad shape and would probably need a complete overhaul and refurb. Not Cheap either