1948 Johnson TD20, 5hp cooling.

TomHP

Recruit
I just ran my newly acquired TD20. The "tell tale" water outlet produced mostly steam at the low rpm necessary while running it in a barrel.
I had replaced it's existing impeller with a new one. However, the new one is hard plastic but the one I removed is pliable rubber.
My two questions are,1. Is this new impeller correct? and 2. Should I be seeing more water and less steam from the tell-tale?
I removed the accessible small copper water line and blew into both places where it connects. There was no resistance.
Thanks,
TomHP

F_R

Supreme Mariner
The impeller (properly called a "rotor") should be made of rubber. Fairly hard rubber, not mooshey rubber. It should pump steady water anytime it is running, any speed.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Where did you get the "new" impeller or I should say rotor ??

TomHP

Recruit
Thanks for the replies. I bought the new hard plastic rotor as Johnson part number 300591 from Foxgrips.
I think I'll remove it and reinstall the old rubber rotor for a trial run. It's a bit loose but not fragile. See what happens.

TomHP

Recruit
I tried the old rubber rotor and it pumps great.
The company (Foxgrips) that sold me the hard plastic model has already refunded my purchase.
I thank them and you.