Evinrude 40 1968

Lower

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hey found an outboard I might be interested in trying to fix. Guy says it wont start and he hasn't messed with it except to know it has good compression. Asking $250. Good price? And also can you tell by the model number what the shaft length is. Tape measure comes in under 17", and I need a short shaft is this considered short shaft ( I thought it was 15") The model number is 40872 B

Last edited:

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
$250 is to much for that motor not running. The 17" is a shortshaft motor.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
A long shaft motor would have a 5" extension between the lower unit and the exhaust housing.-----If the motor is in fact in good condition $ 250 is not a bad price in some locales.-------You have to be able to do any work yourself.----Going to a shop will quickly empty your wallet.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I think that is an electric shift model as well. I realize "HE" said it has good compression, but unless I could verify that myself, I would walk. If you could read the compression yourself and know it was good, then I would think about it at a lesser price. I mean after all, it is a 1968 engine. There are parts available for it as NOS but nothing brand new. So you have to search for any part it would need. And those parts can be found, but not from the manufacture anymore. JMHO

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Many regular maintenance parts are easy to find for those motors.-------In fact easier to find than parts for much newer motors.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
If you buy it, make sure you get the remote control with it. The push button shift switch in that thing costs more than he wants for the whole motor.

Lower

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks for the advice guys. I walked he wasn't willing to negotiate

thatone123

Banned
I once brought one of these outboards years ago that already had heavy use from commercial fishing. I ran it commercial fishing for another 5 years, every day, 6 months a year until it wore out. Fantastic motors that seem to keep their high compression over the years. Takes 2 hands to start. In those 5 years it never needed anything except new water pump parts.