1968 20hp Bogs down when dropped into gear unless holding throttle

sparkplug619

Cadet
Hello again. I just got my 1968 FD-22M tuned up and on the water.. it runs pretty good minus a few hiccups.

One of the main hiccups being when I fire it up (starts on first pull every time) it idles nicely as long as I have the throttle on a certain bracket when firing. When I pop it into gear, it is able to push away from that bracket and the idle drops far enough to shut off unless I have a hand on the throttle, keeping it in range of that little bracket thing

fetch

The first picture shows the motor at idle. If I twist to full throttle and pop it into neutral before starting it will lock onto that plate shwon in the picture, not allowing the idle to drop and kill the motor

fetch

This picture shows when I throw it into first gear with my hand off the throttle. As soon as it goes into gear, the throttle will move down and start to close, causing the motor to bog down and die, unless I keep my hand on the throttle,allowing it to stay close to that tab and stay alive.

I have an understanding of this motor, Ive rebuilt the ignition, fuel pump, water pump and carb...I just have no idea where to even begin troubleshooting this problem.

Attachments

• photo254522.jpg
    photo254522.jpg
    171.3 KB · Views: 0
  • photo254523.jpg
    photo254523.jpg
    180.7 KB · Views: 0

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Facts for you.------That bracket is there to prevent full throttle in nuetral.----That bracket prevents too much throttle in reverse as well.----That bracket also prevents you from shifting to nuetral at full throttle.------When you replaced the coils did you set the clearance with the flywheel ??-----Are the coils rubbing on the flywheel and causing the magneto plate to move ?----Is the motor running on both cylinders ?

sparkplug619

Cadet
I moved the coils in as much as possible before tightening. That was the first thing I assumed was pulling the throttle back, I used genuine OEM coils.

And whats the best way to determine if both cylinders are firing? pulling a plug wire and looking for a spark?

sparkplug619

Cadet
Is it possible I didnt adjust the points properly causing the motor to rely on such a high throttle position to run the thing?

sparkplug619

Cadet
So I pulled the flywheel. noticed there was some rubbing along the coil this time around.. not alot though.

Also reset the points. it seems one of the points was off by a bit. after doing this I am able to start the boat without it having to be on that tab. with a dit of carb adjustment, I can slow the idle bit its really really rough and stalls easy.

I havent tried it in gear yet

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
Is this the same motor that got slammed into reverse at full throttle?

sparkplug619

Cadet
It wasnt at full throttle when put in reverse. but yea it is... i disassembled the gear case and inspected the entire lower unit and everything except the impeller key was fine...

This problem has been there since before the reverse fiasco