Johnson 50 HP 2004 clicks when trying to start

I am not sure it is 2004 and don't know year they stopped production. Only clicks when trying to start, in other words does not turn over engine. Engine does not have many hours even though I bought it and boat in 2004. I seldom start it because fish a lot of small lakes and use trolling motor but occasionally need it in some lakes. I cleaned the post & cables but still just clicks. Is there a reset switch or inline fuse or something else I can check I am not mechanical and will take to a shop in you guys cannot suggest something I can do. Thanks!

hemi rt

Petty Officer 1st Class
90% of the time when the starter solenoid clicks it's a weak battery. What is the voltage of the battery both when just sitting and when trying to start it?

All of you were correct that it was the battery! It wasn't old but for whatever reason it was defective so today I returned it to Cabelas and they gave me 100% credit on it and I paid $22 to upgrade to one with more reserve power. BTW, I always recharge both batteries after each trip and had noticed the starter battery seemed to take too long to recharge which probably should have tipped me off. THANKS FOR YOUR WISE ADVICE! Steve