New BRP Tach.....do I have a bad one?

G

I have installed a new BRP Universal tachometer (7K) (p/n 0775795) , along with a new gauge set in the dash panel on my boat.

The gauges are wired in series from the purple (IGN) wire per the instructions in the BRP/OMC direction sheet.

All the gauges are grounded in series too.

There is a separate 12v hot (+) supply to all the gauge lights from the nav light switch via spade connectors.

When I energize the key switch, all the other gauges operate normally (Volt, fuel, trim, etc), but whe I start the motor, the tach needle doesn't move.

I'm thinking since all my other gauges function normally, I have a "bad" tach, and I have ordered another one.

I've checked the ground, and I still get a dead tach.

Your thoughts are most welcome.

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
How many wires did you hook up to the tach?

Ground, power to lights, reference wire ?

I would be more likely to think it's a bad rec/reg than a bad new tach.

Vic.S

Rear Admiral
I have installed a new BRP Universal tachometer (7K) (p/n 0775795) , along with a new gauge set in the dash panel on my boat.

The gauges are wired in series from the purple (IGN) wire per the instructions in the BRP/OMC direction sheet.

All the gauges are grounded in series too.

There is a separate 12v hot (+) supply to all the gauge lights from the nav light switch via spade connectors.

When I energize the key switch, all the other gauges operate normally (Volt, fuel, trim, etc), but whe I start the motor, the tach needle doesn't move.

I'm thinking since all my other gauges function normally, I have a "bad" tach, and I have ordered another one.

I've checked the ground, and I still get a dead tach.

Your thoughts are most welcome.

I am sure you mean that you have wired them in parallel to the ign wire and to ground..

The tachometer also needs a connection to the rectifier or rectifier/regulator. That's the gray wire if its a rectifier/regulator or the yellow/grey wire if its an unregulated rectifier.

interalian

Commander
I am sure you mean that you have wired them in parallel to the ign wire and to ground..

The tachometer also needs a connection to the rectifier or rectifier/regulator. That's the gray wire if its a rectifier/regulator or the yellow/grey wire if its an unregulated rectifier.

Daisy-chain for power and ground. Agree - look at the gray wire.

G

Yes, all the gauges are wired in parallel.

Thank you, I will check the gray wire,

I'm pretty sure I wired it the way they instructed me to, but I've been surprised before..

G

I haven't thrown a volt meter on it yet, boobie, but I will this weekend.

The voltmeter in the instrument panel indicates the motor is charging the battery, so I'm hoping I either have the gray wire not on the right terminal, or the tach is bad.

Hope its not the rectifier/regulator.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
If the voltmeter shows it's charging the rectifier/regulator should be okay. Could be wiring or the tach.

G

Turned out to be a bum tach, Boobie. I rechecked my work, and had it wired correctly.

This has been my experience with marine instruments over the years, they stop working and you just replace them.

I had the same problem on my sterndrive boat, I had an SW Tach ($) that crapped out, I replaced it and all was well.

I bought another BRP tach like the one I had and it worked great.