Transplant

Ricktrevi

Cadet
Hello group, I have a questions for the experts
I have a 1991 Johnson 88 HP motor with two of the pistons only showing 70 PSI, I took off the head and found the pistons on the starboard are burnt with bunch of nicks Not sure what caused it. I also have a 1975 Johnson 85 HP with 115 PSI on all pistons.
My questions is, Can I use all of the wiring, trigger, flywheel, CDI , carburetors from my 88 to use on my 85?
The reason I don't use the 85, its because the 85 HP does not have a lower unit, and its missing a lot of the electrical, solenoid etc etc and the 88 its already installed on the boat..
Many many thanks

Attachments

• photo254498.png
    photo254498.png
    526.2 KB · Views: 0

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Classic---- broken piston rings.-------Every one of those motors will suffer the same fate.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
The 85 hp motor shifts to forward with a DOWN motion of the shift rod.----The 88 hp shifts to forward with an UP motion of the shift rod.------Compare part numbers on the ------shop.evinrude.com ----website to learn what fits and what does not.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
I tried using a 1988 90 hp ignition system on my 1979 85 hp engine. Spent a lot of time and could not get it to work. Not sure just why. For some reason the timing never came out correctly. Not sure if the flywheel/crank is keyed exactly the same so that both engines have the same top dead center. It ran, but I had to move the timer base way around in order to get a semblance of "normal" timing as viewed with the timing light. Still was not correct. Finally put the standard 1985 ignition setup back on the 85 and am still running it on the engine.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Why not just rebuilt the 88 HP. Then you have a total complete working engine that is known good with new pistons and all the electrical working. :noidea: