1968 Johnson 20hp Not pumping water. New impeller, tstat, unclogged water port.

sparkplug619

Cadet
Hello. I have a 1968 Johnson FD-22M 20hp.
I did a complete tuneup on the boat, ignition, fuel pump, fuel tank clean, water pump impeller, tstat, lower unit oil, carb rebuild, tapped in a telltale 'pisser'... everything

took it out all day yesterday, it was pumping water perfectly for the hours I had it on the water. Ran perfectly. I let a buddy of mine give it a go, everything was good until he jumped from forward straight to reverse when trying to shift into neutral. He killed it and we sat for awhile arguing over what the hell he just did. upon firing up, everything was moving and grooving but it was no longer pumping water. I decided to paddle a 1/4 mile to the dock with 1 small oar.

Today I pulled the lower unit. everything looks OK, the gearcase is OK,waterpump and impeller OK, Tstat OK, water port OK. Ran water from the tstat housing and it flowed freely out the bottom.

I have no idea what else I should be looking for. Please HELP

sparkplug619

Cadet
when I had it apart it seems OK.... also if the driveshaft was broken wouldnt it not.... drive?? I fired it up and it drove but killedit when i noticed it wasnt peeing

interalian

Commander
I didn't catch that it would still drive. Can't see how the key in the impeller would shear, but perhaps the sudden jolt of F to R did it.

sparkplug619

Cadet
No Title

Exactamundo...... looks like im spending my last week of vacation waiting for parts to arrive :(

anyone know the exact diameter of this pin? maybe I can find one at a parts store or home depot

Attachments

• photo254488.jpg
    photo254488.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 0

tomhath

Master Chief Petty Officer
The pin usually comes with the impeller. Maybe look in the package to see if you overlooked it.

sparkplug619

Cadet
The pin usually comes with the impeller. Maybe look in the package to see if you overlooked it.

I replaced the pin with the impeller but ive long since discarded the old pin...

I went to home depot and found a couple bits in the chain and hitch section. Brought em home, found the best fitting one, ground it to size and had another magnificent day out on the water!

sparkplug619

Cadet
No Title

Heres what i used to cut down to size... and heres a cool little before and after of my boat.... thing had holes and leaky seams and rivets. Now its 100% solid thanks to some gluvit and 3M 5200

Attachments

• photo254506.jpg
    photo254506.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 0
  • photo254507.jpg
    photo254507.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 0

interalian

Commander
Is that a stainless "S" hook? If not, you may wish to change it to an OE pin before too many hours, especially if you're in salt.

sparkplug619

Cadet
It is stainless but I already have the original pin on order. just wanted to enjoy the boat while I have my last week of vacation from work