1972 EVINRUDE 25 hp

mfinch

Cadet
My motor starts up won't idle down. No problems this morning then when trying to get home, motor won't idle down. Please help.

lindy46

Captain
Is this motor new to you? Is this a new problem? Has it ever idled down correctly? There is an idle stop screw on the port side of the engine - may be set too high. Or could be a carb problem - slow speed needle improperly set. Or carb needs cleaning/rebuilding.

valvebounce

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Sounds like the throttle stop screw needs adjusting.At present it is probably not leaving any idle when you throttle off.

mfinch

Cadet
It ran just fine. I have had the motor for 3 months. I could start it and throttle it down and put it into gear. Would not race at all. I took it out duck hunting. When I started it after sitting for a few hours, it was racing. I could not throttle it down. When I got it home, I started it again and it was at full throttle even though the controls were at low throttle. I did adjust the idle screw but seemed to not do much at all.

AlTn

Commander
+ 1 with racer...this pin is at the bottom of the vertical shaft that runs from the throttle control gear up to the arm on the armature plate...the vertical shaft, once it's been disconnected from that armature arm and the 2 clamps on the side of the motor block, just pulls up and out of the vertical control gear and rubber boot..it should have 2 "ears" that slip into the slots on the vertical control gear