2000 johnson 250 choke not working????

adm1476

Petty Officer 1st Class
I am pretty sure that the choke on my 2000 johnson 250 is not working. After pumping the fuel ball until hard and pushing in the key and cranking, nothing. It cranks forever and wont start. If I move the red lever on my choke to manually operate it it fires rite up. How do I test it to see if it is working off the key?

interalian

Commander
The red lever on the primer opens the valve that should operate electrically when you press the choke (key) in. With the ignition on, you should be able to hear the primer solenoid 'click' when you press the key in. If you don't, check you're getting 12V to the wire on the primer. If you have 12V but no click, you have a missing/bad ground or a bad solenoid. If you have no 12V you need to trace your wiring to find the fault.

bob johnson

Rear Admiral
isn't this the motor that you are using the Fitch 200 hp wiring harness on??..................did you purchase another ignition switch that has the push in choke feature????

bob

adm1476

Petty Officer 1st Class
Yes replaced the ignition switch with a push to choke switch. going to chase the wires tomorrow.

adm1476

Petty Officer 1st Class
LOL that was what I meant. Voltage was fine it was a bad ground.