Marital Harmony Disrupted, Need Your Advice

suzyque

Cadet
Ok, my husband and I own a 1982 25 ft Aquasport with a 25 yr old 225 hp Johnson VRO outboard. He's never had great success starting it quickly. He does everything from rubbing his lucky rabbit's foot, to saying Hail Mary's and turning cartwheels to get her running. This is a key start with a push-in choke. Here's his technique: he advances the throttle, pushes in the choke and holds it pushed in for up to 12 seconds, releases the choke, turns the key to start and we keep our fingers crossed. He repeats this over and over again. Sometimes he takes out the plugs and cleans them. Sometimes she starts, oftentimes she does not. I will say, once the engine DOES start, she runs like a champ. But sometimes he's not successful at all, which can be a disappointment to go down to the boat, load her up, and not have her start.

The biggest difference between male and female mariners (in my humble opinion) is that women can ask for help without feeling helpless. So I asked our old, experienced harbormaster how to start our engine up. He responded, push in the choke for about a second, turn the key to start with the choke pushed in, let the engine crank, release the key, and turn the key to start again, this time without the choke pushed in, and once the engine catches, push and hold in the choke as necessary to get the engine running smoothly. So I do that, and of course, she starts pretty well for me! I go down at 6 am on the weekends by myself to start up the boat and take her out to practice docking her by myself (we are on a tidal river with a pretty good current!) and I don't usually have any trouble starting her up. I neglected to add I do advance the throttle a bit before choking her and turning the key.

You would think the husband would adopt my starting technique, but he tells me I don't know what I am doing, and that the engine is only starting for me because he is back at the engine pumping the bulb and keeping it hard. (I might add, I do this when he struggles to start it, but I haven't got the heart to tell him.) He also is implying that I am damaging the engine by turning the key to start with the choke pushed in.

So I am turning to all you wise salts to tell me: Am I starting this old engine correctly? I mean, the fact that she starts for me pretty regularly tells me I am, but is hubby right? Am I damaging the engine?
And if I am starting the engine correctly, how should I get the husband to dump his former technique and use mine? I would appreciate your thoughts on this. Thank you all~!
Suzyque

alldodge

Staff member
The choke only stays in the choke position "when" the holding the key in (push to choke). Pushing it in and then releasing only releases the choke. To prove the point, remove the cowling and look at the carb(s). Push the key in and watch it go to choke, release the key and watch it release

suzyque

Cadet
Ok, and not to put too sharp a point on it, but are you saying, I am starting it correctly because with the key pushed in and turned to start, I actually have choked the engine, while my husband's technique doesn't choke it at all? ( I am pretty good at following instructions, can't say I necessarily understand the chemistry or physics behind the instructions!)

shaw520

Chief Petty Officer
Pushing the choke on while NOT cranking is doing nothing at all,... The engine needs to crank with chock on to have any benefit whatsoever.

tomhath

Master Chief Petty Officer
He might be confused by the term "priming solenoid".

As I understand it, it's not actually a choke, but it has the same effect; it makes the fuel/air mixture richer when it's engaged (pushed in). Extra fuel only enters the manifold when the engine is cranked, holding it in without cranking doesn't do anything.

Your harbormaster gave you good advice, get some extra gas into the manifold by cranking it for a short time with the solenoid activated. But don't hold it in too long or you'll flood it.

I like to let a motor sit for a few seconds after cranking it with the choke on to give the extra fuel time to evaporate. Maybe that's just a ritual, but it works for me!

Last edited:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Welcome aboard.

Tell your old man that the reason she starts for you is because you know what your doing. He doesn't. You push the key in to choke AND turn the key to start. Hubby is trying to start an old Mercury without the choke - It won't start that way.

PS - Hubby could damage the motor - Take the keys away.

suzyque

Cadet
So, Alldodge and Shaw520, I can quote you both, right? But now for the harder part, kind of like Click and Clack the Tappet Brothers on NPR, answering automotive questions that have at their heart the marital relationship, how do I inform my husband that his technique is not going to work as he is not choking the engine? Diplomatically. Guys are from Mars, women are from Venus, yeah yeah yeah but it is really really hard to tell him anything about this boat. In most regards, he is pretty handy to keep around.

suzyque

Cadet
Tomhath, I think you are onto something! I vaguely remember he talking about a priming solenoid. And yes, our harbormaster is a pretty good guy and he got a good laugh when he watched me the first time I took the boat out by myself and managed to get a line wrapper around the idle prop when I docked her and had to take a swim to untangle my mess.

suzyque

Cadet
Mickyryan, I shall do so. I only worry that he's been here first and will be embarrassed to find out I've come here too!

suzyque

Cadet
Gentlemen! Thank you all. And thanks too for explaining a bit how the choke works with a vacuum and why the key MUST turn with the choke pushed in. We just took the lovely SallyCarol out for the season and come next spring when we put her back in, I shall report back and let you know how we do on this. Thanks again!!
Suzyque

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
A humble man knows what he knows....doesn't know what he doesn't know, however has the wisdom to see it, and the fortitude to search for the answers.

Your method is correct, his method isn't. The art of a carbureted IC motor is lost in many people.

90% of outboards....squeeze the bulb, advance throttle to about 1/4, either lift fast idle lever, pull choke, push choke button, etc while cranking..

Just like starting the riding lawnmower

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Suzyque, old habits are hard to break, but understanding is power. Once he understands why you push the key in (for choke engagement) while starting the engine, then he too will know why it was designed to actually work that way. Most every OB has similar cranking methods. Cause and effect.

Tnstratofam

Commander
A humble man knows what he knows....doesn't know what he doesn't know, however has the wisdom to see it, and the fortitude to search for the answers.

Your method is correct, his method isn't. The art of a carbureted IC motor is lost in many people.

90% of outboards....squeeze the bulb, advance throttle to about 1/4, either lift fast idle lever, pull choke, push choke button, etc while cranking..

Just like starting the riding lawnmower

Scott's post should be a sticky! :encouragement:

interalian

Commander
The "choke" is actually a valve that opens an extra jet of fuel enter behind the throttle plates when the engine is cranking and the fuel pump is pulsing. It doesn't do anything unless it's active when the engine is cranking, or if the "choke" is pressed with key ON and the primer bulb squeezed. The primer bulb doesn't pressurize the fuel line despite what some folk think, it just fills the fuel bowls. And barely a dribble will come out when the motor isn't cranking.

suzyque

Cadet
You guys are great! You make me laugh. However, I'm not kidding when I say I really CANNOT tell him anything about this motor. I am going to print out this thread and show it to him. If he doesn't listen, maybe it will be time for his n' hers boats! I'll keep you posted on my progress. Fingers crossed.