Johnson VRO V6 150 HP no spark

Rderrick121

Cadet
Hello guys I have just started a project and decided the first thing to do would be to see if I could get the motor running, Its a 150HP Johnson VRO V6 I am not getting any sparks to the plugs. How can I trouble shoot? I assume the motor is from 1985-1995 I can't find the exact model number as its worn off The only recognizable numbers/letters are Model: 150STL any help is greatly appreciated thanks!

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
The STL designation is for the "hi perf" version of the 150. Puts out about 10% more hp than the basic 150. Also, this usually means that the ignition system is the high-output version. Instead of a 10 amp charging system, this 150 version outputs 35 amps. Usually this flywheel has the visible "vented" flywheel. There is a free website that has some excellent troubleshooting for the ignition system. Check out this site: cdielectronics.com. When you get into this website, check out this company's ignition troubleshooting guide. It's excellent and covers all of the crossflow years. Read through the various models and compare to your engine to match up the guide with your engine version. Also, your engine is stamped with your model number on the top of the block. Check out this casting plug on the top of all blocks. The model and serial number are stamped with the same ID info from the serial tag which is riveted to the transom bracket. See picture.
the model number is the year identifier, not the serial number. johnson16.jpg.jpg

Rderrick121

Cadet
How can I upload pictures? It requires a URL? also haven't gotten a chance to look at the plug yet on top of the casting thanks again!

Rderrick121

Cadet
Hey guys I was able to pull some numbers off what appears be the freeze plugs. 392868 and R8178606 and then a number on the block is 328001. Would that help at all?

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Looks like the 6 digit numbers may be part numbers. 328001 is a bypass cover. The number that starts with an R could be part of a serial number. Possible that the "R" may stand for rebuild. The block could be a factory/warranty rebuild. Usually those rebuild numbers really don't tell you much. This is the info type that's on an original factory plug. model identification 1.jpg This serial is off a 150STL model from the 1985 time frame. The bottom number is the serial.

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
instead of typing it all out....goto cdielectronics . com. Down load their free troubleshooting guide. Look up your motor now that you have the info. Run tests. Ask questions here for advice as you run tests. You will need a few tools. Start with an open air gap spark tester. This is asssuming that you have load tested the battery and cleaned and tightened all battery cable connections and your starter is turning the motor over fast enough. 300rpm or so.

Rderrick121

Cadet
I haven't had any luck, where can I find a technician or somebody that can help the google search doesn't yield much..