Rebuild needed?

cdrailey

Cadet
Picked up a 1994 16' sea nymph with a 93 evinrude 30hp a week ago. The boat itself seems to be in great shape, motor not so much. Was a no start, removed cylinder head and heli - coiled top spark plug hole. Put it all back together and got it started. No water from tell tell. Water pump kit should be here tuesday. Went ahead and drained lower unit and pulled it to check out the water pump that the previous owner said was new. Haha. Nope. No big deal. Lower unit oil looked decent. Kinda dark, but no water in it. Before I pulled the water pump housing I noticed metal flakes on it. Looked up into the midsection and saw a bunch of metal flakes. When I had the head off to repair the spark plug hole, the cylinders and pistons looked great. No signs of wear on cylinders. There were a few metal flakes in the cylinder from the spark plug threads, but it didn't run with them in there that I know of. I plan on doing a compression test tomorrow. If I have good compression, should I just run it?

gm280

Supreme Mariner
:welcome: aboard cdrailey. We like new iboat members...

If your compression looks good, why rebuild the engine. I say install the new water pump or impeller which ever you bought, and if it runs good, happy boating. Leave the rebuild for later if it give you and problems later on. JMHO

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Dark lower unit oil shows distress in the oil-that's what turns it black. Could be the oil is really old, or could be that it has been run hard with the gearcase only partially filled with oil. Or-it's the wrong oil.. The heat from low gearcase oil turns it black. Change the oil and make sure it refills with the factory-specified amount of ounces. Change it annually-a prescribed winterize procedure. And you get a look at the oil every 100 run hours.

Last edited:

cdrailey

Cadet
Thanks guys. I'll post the compression numbers tomorrow, if I remember to bring my gauge home. I'm thinking the lube is just old, hopefully. I hate buying someone else's problem, but that's how you learn about your own rig! Good new is that I found an overhaul kit for $395 from maxrules.com if compression is low. BTW, do I need a certain number of posts to use the classifieds section? I may have a wife for sale soon!

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
Is that a known good guage or a cheapie from one of the discount tool stores?

Those numbers are low but even.

cdrailey

Cadet
It's a cheap gauge, but it is known to be good. I use it all the time at work. I'll some seafoam after I get the lower end put back together and back on.

cdrailey

Cadet
Got the impeller kit in, but forgot to order something. Where the shift rod attaches in the lower unit. There is a keeper that holds the jam nuts on the shafts. To get that jam nut off, you have to remove that keeper. Someone put a brass ferrule for plumbing fittings on there instead of the plastic keeper. Now waiting for the correct part.

jasper60103

Commander
Got the impeller kit in, but forgot to order something. Where the shift rod attaches in the lower unit. There is a keeper that holds the jam nuts on the shafts. To get that jam nut off, you have to remove that keeper. Someone put a brass ferrule for plumbing fittings on there instead of the plastic keeper. Now waiting for the correct part.

I'm in the midst of a water pump job myself. It appears the keeper expanded underneath the jam nut and not letting go, even with persuasion from a hammer. Looks like I'll have to apply some heat to get it off.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Those black plastic keepers are split and come off easily.---They are proud of them too $$$.-----Most times you have to scrape the paint off the upper rod to move the nut out of the way.

jasper60103

Commander
Those black plastic keepers are split and come off easily.---They are proud of them too $$$.-----Most times you have to scrape the paint off the upper rod to move the nut out of the way.

All is well and back together again. :)

cdrailey

Cadet
Good to hear you got it going! I'm waiting on 2 new keepers. Going to atleast start it and make sure everything else is okay now.

cdrailey

Cadet
Got mine running and moving some water! Didn't overheat and seems to run pretty strong for what it is. Now to fix the leaking cylinder head cover.

glust

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Before I got into the cost and time involved in a rebuild, I'd run her a season and make sure the motor otherwise is a good one. You don't want to rebuild it and then the lower blows up