1976 Johnson 135 Power trim

derek4325

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I just aquired this motor on a 18' starcraft Super sport, i am probably going to keep it but i would love to put power trim on it eventually, i cant seem to find an OEM one, but from what i have read in another form about a 1973 model, i have reason to believe that the OEM one is unnecessarily complicated and that the aftermarket ones are much better. Question is can i get an aftermarket one? All the ones that i have seen only seem to be good for up to 115hp i believe. Is this just a hopeless thought that i have? Thanks, Derek

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
The original factory ones have long since been discontinued. Best to scrounge around for an old scrapped engine that's got a blown powerhead, but a working trim unit. Salvage the trim unit. I ran one for many years on my 76 135. It looked odd, but worked well for me for many years. Must be thousands of these old models laying in the back of many, many salvage yards. Check out Boat Recyclers of Wilmington. They do tons of salvage work and advertise on ebay.

derek4325

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I would prefer not to put an OEM power trim on this motor if i can help it. Like what was mentioned before the factory ones are discontinued and i know i will probably be spending a lot of money on one of these so i would prefer to get a new aftermarket one. Is there such a thing? I'm lost here.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
A 1976 135 is not going to be putting out more than 110 at the prop, so the 115 rating of the after market unit is adequate, and the 76 engine weighs a lot less than a newer engine of less HP as well

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Reliability of the original factory units can be vastly inproved by mounting the reservoir / motor inside the boat.