Running without prop.

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
I think he is thinking along the lines of the old "blow the carbon out of her...." shade tree mechanic style thinking.

Either way he said he wouldn't do it, and understood tjat it wasnt the way to go, and hasn't posted back in a few days so...

hemi rt

Petty Officer 1st Class
They make / market ---Marine dynomometers---so that a motor can be load tested on dry land.-------Winding them up in nuetral proves nothing !!!

I have a friend, that owns a shop, has a marine dyno that he uses quite often, he compares the factory specs to the readings he gets on his dyno, It will tell you how the motor is operating and if it is operating at its' peak efficiency.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
It takes more than 5 minutes to explain the finer points of bearings / lubrication.---------So explain to me what you understand about cutlass bearings / kingsbury bearings / hydrodynamic wedge / viscosity in oil.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
I still want to know all about runaways. Come on racer - stop holding out!

Runaway is when you rev up a motor with no load on it, and it takes off and runs crazy wild and you can't slow it down. There are different causes. It is perfectly natural for some motors to do that, even when there is nothing wrong. Some motors even had vacuum cut-out switches to slow them down if they go into runaway mode. Best cure is just don't rev it up in neutral.

Mohawkmtrs

Chief Petty Officer
F_R has got the right idea in his previous post...it's simple physics...the relationship between mass/velocity and the opposing force(s) (con rods, con rod bolts, etc.) holding the everything together.

Exceeding these opposing forces, things come apart. Ever wonder why there are governors on lawn mower engines?

The prop operating in water acts as a sort of governor.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
The OP says nothing about running it at full throttle with no load....just a higher RPM. You can run the engine at a high RPM and it won't just run away from you. That high RPM with no load may be something like 5% throttle.

Why you would want to run at high RPM under no load is a whole different story unless you are doing some particular test for something like ignition timing or tach testing.