it this much oil normal

RobertThoreson

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Today I dropped my lu and was sprites to find everything covered in 2 stroke oil. It is even puddled in there. Now 2 months ago when I had it apart, I don't remember it like this. But the little o ring at the top of the drive shaft was broke this time. Is that the cause?

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Are you sure it's 2-stroke oil? Maybe it's lower unit oil from the gearcase?

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Today I dropped my lu and was sprites to find everything covered in 2 stroke oil. It is even puddled in there. Now 2 months ago when I had it apart, I don't remember it like this. But the little o ring at the top of the drive shaft was broke this time. Is that the cause?

That o-ring serves a very important purpose. It keeps water out of the driveshaft / crankshaft splines. If missing, water gets in there and over time rusts the splines in the crankshaft to the point of destruction. No, it has nothing whatsoever to do with oil being in the area.

RobertThoreson

Petty Officer 2nd Class
It is for sure 2 stoke oil, dark with a great blue tint, the gear oil I drained had water in it so it was like peanut butter color.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
First things first. And first you have to think about how a 2-stroke works. Every drop of the oil that you mixed with the gas goes through the engine, along with the gas, as it runs. That oil passing through is what lubricate all the pistons and bearings inside the engine. As the mix goes through, some of the oil burns (make smoke), and the rest goes out with the exhaust. What you are looking at is oil that has gone out the exhaust. But it certainly is excessive. That might mean it has sat with the gas tank line connected for a long time and the carburetor has not done a 100% job of shutting off the flow. So drop by drop, it has seeped into and through the engine. Another thing that might have happened is it was laid down with the carburetor full and it just dumped through. Third thing is the last time it was ran it might not have ran correctly, dumping unburned fuel out the exhaust.

Really, the bottom line is put it back together and run it (on a boat, on the lake). If it runs fine, you do not have a problem.