My Hydro-Electric Shift Switch Solution - Hope it helps someone!!

jbuote

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I hope that this post may help someone, somewhere, someday....
So my shift switch in my remote broke for my '71 50hp Johnson Hydro-Electric (Not pure Electric shift.. Be careful... There's a difference).

Casing was cracked and wires were junk, so it HAD to be replaced...

I searched online and found that the original switch was VERY expensive. So much so, that I started looking for used remotes that would have the switch in it!
I'd have felt better spending 250-300 bucks for a whole remote rather than just the switch.
I'm sure I'll find one eventually, but I saw posts about putting a toggle switch in place for shifting and it got me thinking...

Here's what I came up with!
A way to replace the switch economically and everything is STILL self contained in the remote!

NOTE: This will probably be a multi-part post, so bear with me... :)

If your remote looks like mine, this should work for you too!
This remote has the friction lock ONLY on top, and the choke toggle switch under the ignition switch....
Here's the cover of my remote (Had already separated the halves):

Attachments

• photo254164.jpg
    photo254164.jpg
    234.7 KB · Views: 14

jbuote

Lieutenant Junior Grade
No Title

Original inside Wiring:

Attachments

• photo254165.jpg
    photo254165.jpg
    267.8 KB · Views: 29

jbuote

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I ordered 2 switches...

An ignition switch (mine was iffy, but even if yours isn't, it's not that expensive.)

jbuote

Lieutenant Junior Grade
And a rotary switch.. 2 Position, Off, On, 2On

jbuote

Lieutenant Junior Grade
No Title

Then, I removed original ignition AND choke switch. I wired the choke back into the push to choke ignition INSTEAD of the toggle switch...

Attachments

• photo254167.jpg
    photo254167.jpg
    239.1 KB · Views: 20

jbuote

Lieutenant Junior Grade
No Title

Then, I wired up the rotary switch to the shift wires.
Rotary legs are powered where off is No power, 45deg is L2 leg, 90deg is L1+L2 legs.

Purple to the batt side, (only had 1 leg on it..)
Green (Neutral) to L2
Blue (Reverse) to L1

​Then I installed the switch where the Choke toggle USED to be. Fit right in!!

Attachments

• photo254168.jpg
    photo254168.jpg
    227.7 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:

jbuote

Lieutenant Junior Grade
No Title

You must be careful to allow enough room using the attaching nuts between the faceplate and the shift switch to allow the casings to be re-assembled properly...

Then just put the casing back together and you have a self contained solution.
I put the knob on the shift switch such that straight up and down (pointing to the key) is NEUTRAL.
45deg Left is Forward.
45deg Right is Reverse.

Here it is put back together.

That's all there was to it.
I REALLY hope this helps someone someday, and if anyone has improvement ideas, or constructive criticism I welcome it, but until then,

Enjoy, and Happy Boating!!

Joe

Attachments

• photo254169.jpg
    photo254169.jpg
    202.1 KB · Views: 15
  • photo254170.jpg
    photo254170.jpg
    217.3 KB · Views: 13

boobie

Supreme Mariner
I guess using this set up isn't much different than having push buttons. And it's much cheaper. Good Job !!

interalian

Commander
I have one question. The switch says it's OFF-ON-2ON. Sounds like a light switch where ON just turns on the anchor light and 2ON turns on the running lights as well as the anchor light. Have you tested yet?

jbuote

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Thanks boobie!!

​interalian,
While I admit I haven't run the engine with this setup yet, I did use my meter to verify continuity and it all specs out like it should.
Off is no power to green or blue (Forward)
On is power to green only (Neutral)
2On is power to both green and blue (Reverse)

Metered the solenoids too, got 6ohms each. That's 2amps current in Neutral and about 4amps in Reverse. Switch is rated for 20amp if memory serves, so the switch should more than handle the 5amp max that'll be put through it.

Sound right to you or are you thinking I may have overlooked something or got something askew here?

Still learning!! :)

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Get out there and try it and let us know how it works which I think will be okay.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
The light switch idea doesn't sound to bad either. Depends on what amps it will carry.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
jbuote, I must admit that is a very clever solution to an otherwise very expensive problem. Good job!! A warning to anybody that might be considering doing it on a motor with Electrictramatic Shift though,,a different switch (SPDT) would be required. This one would damage the motor.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
I like it that you found and chose a rotary switch. It takes an intentional act to operate it. Unlike a toggle switch that can be nudged or bumped and maybe cause an accident.

jbuote

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Yes, I think what I ordered in the link above is listed as a possible light switch. The Rotoswitches are all rated at 20amps as far as I could tell.

​They come in all flavors if you will, and are available here on iboats.
That's where I found them! LOL

F_R,

​I too loved the idea of the rotary switch for just that reason! I can't "Accidentally" shift it by bumping it! lol....

They have Off/On/2On which Is what I used for the "Hydro-Electric" engine, but they also have On/Off/On which I BELIEVE would work for the straight "Electric/Selectric" where power to green is forward and power to blue is reverse, power to NONE is Neutral.

(I think I have that right, but that's not my engine so don't take my word.)

Point is, I believe this setup would work for other electric type shifting as well just AS LONG as the correct Rotoswitch or equivalent were used..

Make sense? :)

jbuote

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Hey boobie!

​Yes, I did... I got forward, neutral and reverse. All working!

I can't get her started consistently, but I think that's adjustments and getting to know the quirks of how to start this "New to me" engine..

Now that shifting is fixed, I can make more attempts to get her running reliably without worrying about starting in gear or not.. :)