Converting fuel mixed at 16:1 to 50:1 And Other Brain Teasers ;)

mjf55

Chief Petty Officer
Look what I started :yield:. Sorry OP. But at least you got your answer.

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
If an electric train is going north at 50 mph and the wind is blowing south at 50 MPH which way does the smoke go?
(And by the way folks -- the word is PROBABLY -- not "prolly". Just another petty annoyance for this old duffer!) . Are we off the rails yet?

I am so guilty of the "prolly" thing. Sorry, I will definitely be more careful! Literally !!! (hehe)

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Here is one with no math.

Why did the monkey fall out of the tree.

He was dead.

AlTn

Commander
post # 20 hinges on what each man can see on the head of the man ( men ) ahead < no pun intended > of him...had the rear most man seen 2 black hats ahead of him, he could deduce that his had to be red, if he sees 2 reds in front he is still left with 1 red and 2 blacks as a choice, if he sees 1 red and 1 black he's left with 1 black and 2 reds ...middle man can't deduce his color, but if the man in front of him had a black hat then he could deduce he is wearing a red hat as both of the black hats would be eliminated, if he sees a red hat he can deduce only that he has a possible red or black hat ...front man knows both black hats must be gone as one pile had 2 black hats and the other pile had 3 red hats leaving only 1 red as a certainty...at least I think that's how it goes...and the prickly friends that buried them in the first place skip off gleefully with what were once the buried mens girlfriends

gm280

Supreme Mariner
post # 20 hinges on what each man can see on the head of the man ( men ) ahead < no pun intended > of him...had the rear most man seen 2 black hats ahead of him, he could deduce that his had to be red, if he sees 2 reds in front he is still left with 1 red and 2 blacks as a choice, if he sees 1 red and 1 black he's left with 1 black and 2 reds ...middle man can't deduce his color, but if the man in front of him had a black hat then he could deduce he is wearing a red hat as both of the black hats would be eliminated, if he sees a red hat he can deduce only that he has a possible red or black hat ...front man knows both black hats must be gone as one pile had 2 black hats and the other pile had 3 red hats leaving only 1 red as a certainty...at least I think that's how it goes...and the prickly friends that buried them in the first place skip off gleefully with what were once the buried mens girlfriends

Sorry but that logic doesn't add up. Try again.

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
As to post 20, the forward guy has to be red otherwise the middle guy could answer if the back guy could not.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Answer to the hat question;

First guy has to say he doesn?t know because the front two guys don?t have black hats on. Thereby he can?t tell what he is wearing either. He could see one red and one black, or one black and one red, or even two red hats, but he still can?t tell what hat he has on from his observations.
Second guy doesn?t see the front guy with a black hat on, or he would know for certain that he dosen?t have a black hat on because the guy behind him would have concluded his hat would then be red, by seeing two black hats in front of him. And that also would mean the second guy knows his hat would then be red if he sees a black hat on the front guy. So he sees only a red hat on the front guy. But that he also could have a red or black hat on his head and therefore can?t tell for certain what hat he has on.
The third guy thinking about the previous two statements, now knows his hat is red. There are on other color he could be wearing. If the first guy stated he is wearing a red hat, the third guy would know his hat would then be black as would the second guy. And if the second guy seen a black hat on the third guy then he would conclude his hat was red. But since neither of those two other guys could know for certain what hats they were wearing, the front guy knows for certain his hat is red.

WALA

gm280

Supreme Mariner
If we are posting some brain teasers, how about this one;

Three guys walk into a hotel. They ask for one room. The desk clerk tells then the room will be $30 dollars a night. So all three hand the clerk $10 each making the $30 payment. They walk off towards their room and the manager walks up and tell the clerk that he over charged the guys, that the room was only $25 dollars a night. So the clerk hands the bell hop $5 dollars and tells him to give it back to the three guys. The bell hop walks off to give them their money back and thinks he can?t give each guy the same amounts back so he decides to give each guy $1 dollar back and keep the other $2 dollars for himself. So now the guys instead of paying $10 dollars each has paid $9 dollars each. And $9 dollars times three is $27 dollars and add in the bell hop?s $2 dollars it comes to $29 dollars.

Where did the other dollar go?

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
Need an emoji with fire coming out of brain. Post 30 is not fair for a Saturday morning

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
gm280

It's not missing. After getting the 1$ back they have now only paid 27. 25 for the room and 2 for the bell hop?

It's taken me since 9:30 to figure this. Driven me nuts while I have been pouring antifreeze in motors.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
gm280

It's not missing. After getting the 1$ back they have now only paid 27. 25 for the room and 2 for the bell hop?

It's taken me since 9:30 to figure this. Driven me nuts while I have been pouring antifreeze in motors.

Nope, $27.25 plus $2 dollars does not equal $30.

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
Nope, $27.25 plus $2 dollars does not equal $30.

Not 27.25. I meant they each got a dollar back. That means they have only paid a total of 27 dollars. 25 for the room and 2 for the bell hop. Total of 27.

Guess you could argue. 8.3333 apiece for the room, 2 for the bell hop and the dollar each returned. The .3333 added up would be the missing buck

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Not 27.25. I meant they each got a dollar back. That means they have only paid a total of 27 dollars. 25 for the room and 2 for the bell hop. Total of 27.

Guess you could argue. 8.3333 apiece for the room, 2 for the bell hop and the dollar each returned. The .3333 added up would be the missing buck

I understand what you are trying to say. However from the three guys point of view, they each paid $9 dollars instead of ten. And if you add in the $2 dollars the bell hop kept that comes out to $29 dollars. So it is a situation of mixing mathematic operations. The rules of operation come into play. But it is interesting when you mix them up anyways.

A common technique for remembering the order of operations is the abbreviation "PEMDAS", which is turned into the phrase "Please Excuse My Dear Aunt Sally". It stands for "Parentheses, Exponents, Multiplication and Division, and Addition and Subtraction".

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
I understand what you are trying to say. However from the three guys point of view, they each paid $9 dollars instead of ten. And if you add in the $2 dollars the bell hop kept that comes out to $29 dollars. So it is a situation of mixing mathematic operations. The rules of operation come into play. But it is interesting when you mix them up anyways.

A common technique for remembering the order of operations is the abbreviation "PEMDAS", which is turned into the phrase "Please Excuse My Dear Aunt Sally". It stands for "Parentheses, Exponents, Multiplication and Division, and Addition and Subtraction".

So it's an anomaly and unless you're a genius you just can't wrap your head around it? Guess that's why I love J/E motors but make my money repairing the ones that break....mercsšŸ˜‚